Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horvik

Need magnetron help Simplicity 7016H

TimJr

Yank the engine, send in the flywheel and put on a Magnetron coil. I wouldn't mess with points again. I have done it to 2 engines. Pretty sure there are a number of other discussions that have the shipping info to get the flywheel repolarized by Briggs for use with Magnetron.

wiscogus

Did the magnetron retrofit on mine 326431 with a new coil. I think Briggs discontinued the retrofit kit for a reason. Gonna try it with a magnetron coil and see what happens. Already have had the flywheel flipped

Bill725

Converted a 10 & 16 HP engine. Wish I would have done it sooner.

1)B&S Magnetron Electronic Module P/N 398811

2) Repolarize flywheel. Send to:

Menomonee Falls Distribution Center

W148 N9121 Patrita Drive

Menomonee Falls, WI 53051-2272

Include instructions, return address & engine info.

Noly

My flywheel is boxed up and will be sent tomorrow. 16Hp from my 1972 Homelite T16S.I wrapped it in cardboard then 2 layers of bubble wrap placed it in a large priority mail box, filled the extra space with cardboard, flywheel will not move.

also put the following info in box Engine model number and type, engine code number, product type, product serial number your name address, and what you want done.

ChuckS

I keep reading different messages on the need to repolarize the flywheel.  I put in a magnetron and had good initial results with it running. Would it run at all if the flywheel needed to be repolarized?  I am currently without a spark and think I have a ground problem somewhere.  I am almost to the point to ... well go back to points.  I am pulling the engine and going to give everything a look over.  I have a 7016H.    

BLT

The ground would only apply to two wires, the ignition wire and the coil wire which terminate on the piece of insulated board attached to the points cover .Separating them should give you your spark back, then you can narrow it down to which wire.

TimJr

ChuckS, you say you put in a Magnetron.  What do you mean?  If you have a 7016 with the correct engine, it has points and a flywheel that will not work with a Magnetron ignition coil.  The polarity is wrong and won't make enough electricity in the coil to really run.  I can't remember if the polarity goes N-S-N or S-N-S.  Briggs used to have a small tool to identify the polarity of flywheels, pretty sure it is obsolete now.  Remember, whether points or Magnetron, this is a magneto ignition, which means there is no spark if the primary is grounded out.  That also means you can't shut the ignition off if the ground wire is not connected to a way to get it to ground out.  NEVER apply 12 volts to a Briggs coil.  You have about 3 seconds before the magic smoke is let out of it.  Tim