Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Evapo-Rust product; why so expensive?

powerking_one

So I've heard about this stuff for a few years now and follow various antique radio/TV forums and guys saying how great it is for rust removal without ANY damage to the base metal parts. I bought a gallon of it for $25 the other day (and the going rate for it) and did try it on a lightly rusted Kohler K-91 gas tank. Definitely it worked a charm and zero affect on the non-rusted areas. If you pull up the MSDS, the stuff looks to be almost as safe a cocktail mixer (LOL).

http://www.evapo-rust.com/info/EvapoRustMSDS.pdf

Unlike other rust removers (Naval Jelly, other phosphoric acid products), the chemistry is based on chelation.

So my question is why the heck is it so expensive? Maybe Bill (Phandad) our resident chem-engineer can chime in?

Tom (PK)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation

I am not very familiar with these products, but $25 for a gallon doesn't seem too bad, considering the time it would take to sand, polish, clean, and repaint something. I am glad it worked well for you!

Good for nuts and bolts, etc.

they suggest, that after wshing it off, it does well to either priming immediately, or spraying some clean e-r on the item (s) to prevent flash rust.

quote:Originally posted by steve-wis

I am not very familiar with these products, but $25 for a gallon doesn't seem too bad, considering the time it would take to sand, polish, clean, and repaint something. I am glad it worked well for you!

id="quote">
id="quote">When it popped up about 3 years ago it was going for about $18/gal. But that was a promo price.Don't forget, you can reuse it after straining it through some cheese-cloth. Stuff is great on mower spindles (after bearings are removed).

The stuff I used was a knock-off product called Metal-Rescue at Home Depot. Guys are also selling Evapo-Rust on ePay; do a Google search for other sources/sellers. I used double coffee filters a few times and a funnel to put it back in the jug. The instructions say that once it turns dark grey/black that it is expired; no longer effective. I had to soak it 2 times (flipping it over) each for 24 hours. Gas tanks can be P.I.T.A. to de-rust as we know.

Tom (PK)