Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 drive shaft

wwbragg

I was having trouble with the governor and BLT sent me a youtube link by Zippo Varga which helped a lot. But my linkage was just not responding the way Zippo demonstrated so I took it to a local shop. I figured since this guy was older than dirt, he would know all the tricks and not charge me an arm and a leg. When I got it back it a little better (not much) but still cost me an arm and a leg. Now there is an awful clanging from the rear coupler. I took the frame apart and surprise, surprise. I don't think it has the stock drive shaft and probably not the stock Bevel Gear Box. Here are some pictures and yes, that is a piece of tire tread the previous owner used for a front coupler. I'm inclined to just add some spacers and keep the existing arrangement but does anybody know what these parts are from? They sure don't look like the shaft for a 725.

Coupler front.jpg

coupler rear.jpg

57e05a4e4741c_Couplerfront.jpg.c783936dbf0ddd844865207e20bc901e.jpg

57e05a4e53818_couplerrear.jpg.e131bb20a3772601be3212ce847eca83.jpg

Cowlitz Prairie Grange Thrashing B. The only part that's any good is the orange part in the first photo, it goes on the bevel gear box. Throw the rest away, pillow block and love joy all junk.

I might have a extra drive shaft by next week. I live in Puyallup

I ordered the fiberglass couplers but I'm not sure if my shaft is long enough. Do you know how long the 725 shaft is supposed to be?

The shaft in the picture is home made and you will need a correct drive shaft to be able to use the fiberglass couplers. I only have mid sixties Simplicities and the shaft are all the same length even with the bonded rubber or fiberglass disc.

Can you hook me up? How much would you want for a stock driveshaft? Are you around the shop in the daytime? I can come in Tuesday or Wednesday. What is best for you?