Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Repairs

cojomu

I'm in the process of repairing a 42" deck...replacing rollers and roller bar. Instead of welding the bar to the bar assembly on one side, I have thought about placing collars with set screws on the inside of each bar assembly. This would secure the roller bar. Also instead of drilling holes in the bar for cotter pins, the outside rollers would have a collar placed at the end of the bar. Looking for thoughts,pros and cons on this setup. Thanks

Sounds like a great idea to me except I don't see a plus in not welding the bar in place.

I'd weld it and try your idea and see what happens!

I have welded and not welded mine. It simply keeps the bar from free spinning and wearing a groove in the rod. If you do weld it, make sure to weld it soldily as it will break a weak weld. As far as the end goes, a lock collar can work but I would reccomend having a drilled dimple for the set screw to bite into. Hose clamps work in a pinch as well.

Joe,

That is how I rebuild my decks/roller bars as well. After the old bar welded bar is removed, I weld set collars to the brackets. This allows for easy future removal/replacement. I also use high hold cone tip set screws in the collars with blue Loctite dimpling the the corresponding positions in the bar as Josh (dentwizz) mentions. Use set collars and no more cotter pins.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-set-screws/=xwkmnk

Tom(PK)

I drilled and tapped a couple of pieces of pipe for set screws, then welded the pipe into the bracket. The new rod was inserted into the pipe to keep everything in alignment while welding. I like the set collar idea better!

Ken

Another question/opinion for my deck repair. Got 9 inch rollers from Yates Rubber today. Cut one to go on ends, no problem, sliced like butter on the old chop saw. Question, any advantage cutting the remaining rollers in half to go between the roller bar brackets. Three 9 inch rollers verses six 4.5 inch rollers. Same distance, just more washers to divide.

The more divisions the more it can compensate for turning radius. Less rub-off issues on the yard and rollers or more specifically driveways.

What are you guys using for the rod? I made one out of O-1 drill rod once but it didn't seem to last any long than the stock rod. Next one I make will be out of some other exotic metal as well, until I find the longest lasting material.

For mine, I purchased from Tractor Supply a four foot stick, 5/8 inch dia., of cold roll steel....blue paint on the tip.