Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4 for 4 Sunstar Kohler M20-49544

onebadfish

Ugh, Feeling pretty defeated here. I have 4 Simps ( 2 others having carb work done for me) in the barn, grass growing like well...grass and not one of the old girls is up for service. Anyone ever decide they are defeated and want to sell them all and buy a new zt or something that will run everytime you turn the key?

Let me explain, My 7117h quit while I was cutting grass the day before our daughters open house, June 8th. This machine never quits. So tow back to the barn. Move the 48' deck over to the 7114h which is a dedicated snow pusher with trip blade.

Finish mowing with the 7114h and on the way to the barn she gets a wicked squeal in the front left. I tear down the front end of the 7114 and find a really bad bearing...my bad, never checked grease since purchased. SO while I am working I look into why the 7117h quit. Found after hours of fun the PTO safety switch came loose and that is why she wouldn't crank up again. Needs a new battery now (just old) and that one will be ready for duty again. Bearings tomorrow for the 7114 and she should be back in business.

Sooooo last week I find a Sunstar, was on my wish list for a long time. $700, Kohler M20, p/s, locking Diff, hi lo, hydro lift and drive, with 48" deck sm01. Electric PTO clutch just replaced by PO at the tune of $400. (saw receipt)

Needed an idler pulley and a belt, $100. Installed the pulley and was ready to cut. The Sunstar ran for about 30 minutes, loved the p/s, truly. Then she dies in the middle of the yard. NO fuel, fuel filter empty tank about 1/3 full. So I let her cool down made sure air would pass through the filter and drank some gas to prime the lines again. Also topped off the tank just in case it needed to be full to run? She fired up, surging but then seemed to get enough to run. I mow for another 20 minutes and she dies again, this time wouldn't even crank, key turn gets a click, fuel filter looks like it has some in it. Put the battery charger on it for a few hours and now she will sometimes crank, sometimes just click but still not fire.

The other to complete the 4 no go's is a Sunrunner that snapped a steering cable June 2nd.B)

So, a few questions for the group here. 1 what type of fuel pump does the Kohler M20 have? Where is it located? Is that a likely culprit?

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent, 4 in the barn and nothing to mow with.:(

Tim

Just to let ya know O-turns break too. got a clatter 2wks ago now needing new motor, Oh 38 hp kohler. just my $.02

Thanks I am sure they do. I am just on a bad run here. Will have 2 of the 4 back in action tomorrow, that will take some heat off, lol.

The M20 uses the same fuel pump as the KT engines. It is located on the top left side of the engine.

On issue with the Sunstar is the fuel tank is in the back. The fuel pump can easily lose prime, even with fuel in the tank. This happens because of the long fuel line it is easy for the pump to suck air through any connection and cracked hoses. I have seen where the fuel pump will suck air through a weather checked hose, but the hose will not leak gas.

If the tractor is hard starting after sitting a few days...check the fuel line or just replace it if it is more than several years old.

All of my tractors had new urethane fuel lines shortly after I acquired them. I like that I can see the gas in the line, and urethane is easily removed for repairs and troubleshooting.

Ok thanks for the info Mike. It looks like it was stored outside and a complete new fuel line run is a good start at troubleshooting this I think. Is the fuel pump mechanical or a pulse type pump?

Tim

Mike, I am looking at the Kohler service manual for the M20 and it shows a mechanical pump with the fuel line coming from the tank to an inline filter then to the pump then from the pump to the carb fuel inlet. On my Sunstar I see the fuel line coming from the tank, it goes into an inline filter, exits that and goes directly to the carb fuel inlet. Any ideas? I don't see a pump in play at all unless it is under the tractor and not mounted to the engine.

Before you go to all the trouble of a fuel pump replace your fuel lines and filter. After that take a flash light and inspect your tank for dirt and junk. Then take a air hose and blow back to the tank there is probably some junk stuck between the tank and hose connections. I spent a couple hundred dollars on a John deer thinking it was electrical and it turned out to be Mexican stolen gas full of garbage and clogged the line at the tank connection point!

I have yet to see a KT or Magnum without a pump, so if there is a cover plate in place I wouldn't know what it would look like. The pump should be right on top of the engine only a few inches away from the carb. If it failed, someone may have run a line directly to the carb and used gravity with a full tank, although aSunstar tank sits pretty low. Not sure what to tell you, other than look closely for the pump.

Hurley, Thanks thats the plan today. The fuel line I can see is weak so I am just going to do a complete new run with a new filter.

Brett, thanks I will take a closer look. Like you said I can not imagine it ever pulling fuel counting on gravity because the tank is low and so far away on a Sunstar.

It could be a vapor lock, one of my sunstars cap vent blocked! someone had screwed through the center of the gas cap to secure it to a chain which was secured to the frame, I guess previous owner was losing caps!!

Here is a pic of the fuel pump. As others have said, it sits right on top of the engine, just behind the carb. The bottom half actually sits down in the engine block, as the lever rides along the cam shaft. So, all you can see sticking out is the top section. But, you'll notice the fuel line going into the one screw in elbow, then another piece of fuel line coming off the screw in elbow on the other side and going to the carb.

fuel pump.jpg

57e06196cc855_fuelpump.jpg.3b46392358b704835338bbc7a4f64d0c.jpg

Hey Chris

Do you happen to have a part number on the pump that is pictured? Any idea if rebuild kits are available on this pump?

Thx

On internet explorer, go to www.kohlerplus.com and log in as a guest. Should be able to find all the parts per spec number of the motor.

Colin, good thought on the vapor lock, it was hot and ran for a while before fuel stopped flowing.

I did find the pumpsm00 not sure how I missed that. But I replaced the short piece of 1/4" ID hose between the pump and carb inlet and disconnected the fuel line from the intake side of the pump. I connected 5 ft of hose and a small tank of fuel to the intake side of the pump. It started and ran fine for 10 minutes. I had the tank elevated but am thinking that proves the pump and tells me I need to replace the line all the way from the tank and new filter. Will also check to make sure the cap vent is functional. Thanks all for the ideas. Will also check out the Kholer plus site.sm01

I have both Sovereigns back in service tonight so I am a happy guy. Now I can take my time with the new Sunstar and get her dependable.

Tim

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Hey ChrisDo you happen to have a part number on the pump that is pictured? Any idea if rebuild kits are available on this pump?Thx

id="quote">
id="quote">Part # is 52 559 01. You can get them on eBay for $36 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-FOR-KOHLER-REPLACES-5255901S-Fits-KT-MAGNUM-SERIES-ROT-10273-/261940989161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfce64ce9Unfortunately, the parts manual that I have for the Magnum engines doesn't show a rebuild kit.

Hello, Does the sunstar have that fine mesh screen in the bottom of the fuel tank? My sovereign does, and I found it plugged causing

blockage . It could be adding to your problem.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Thanks Ken in Mich, I am going to drain tank and replace line today will flush tank and look for the mesh.

Tim

Bottom of the tank will have a rubber grommet and a barb fitting with a mesh filter screen on it. Disconnect the fuel line then the fitting just pulls straight down. It's kind of tricky to get back in though.

Replaced the fuel line and filter. Cleaned some crud out of the tank, not a ton but is clean now. Fresh gas and she still is starving for fuel. Am going to order a fuel pump tonight. There was a mesh on the fitting in the tank but I blew air at 80psi into the tank through that fitting and it seems clear. Has to be a pump at this point I think. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Fishnwiz,

I missed the pump on my first look at it. It did have a pump so I replaced the pump after the fuel line and new filter did not remedy the problem. The tractor has a ton of hours on it, not sure about the engine hours, might be a replacement but is definitely a Kohler M20. Burns 0 oil, no smoke and level stays really consistent. Strong runner. While I had the tin off to replace the pump I cleaned mouse nests out. It must have been sitting for a while, I had noticed it ran hot the first time I mowed with it, I found about a half of a 5 gallon bucket of mouse nests packed in it.:o. On the search for a fuel tank sending unit now. When shorting the wires going to the sending unit the gauge pegs so think it needs a sending unit.

Thanks all for the help here.

Tim