Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
WreckEmTech

Difference between Briggs 23 and 243431

WreckEmTech

i am curious as to what the difference is between the 2 motors and if and parts are the same, especially the shroud. I am working on an old 23 and the shroud is toast so I thought I would see if anybody knew before I went with trial and error.

BLT

"23" is a 23CID engine with a max of 7-9 HP and a "243431" is in a family that goes from 10-16 HP. That latter has bigger mounting design. If you want to get a closer replacement, you would have to find a model 233431. Currently, cast iron engines are NLA because of emissions. Best you put an ad in the classifieds and see what you come up with.

powerking_one

I believe the model 23 shares the same oil pan size/mounting/configuration as all the other cast iron singles (from the 230000 to the 326000) and same center line crankshaft height making any of them drop-in interchangeable mounting-wise. The model 23 used the failure prone Magnematic ignition and others have converted over to the later generation STD 2-leg coil and flywheel (search the archives for this info). The 230000 series is basically and updated version of the model 23, still using the plain crankshaft bearings whereas the 240000-320000 series uses ball bearings.

Tom (PK)

dentwizz

I have crossed a lot of parts between the 9 and 10hp engines. The ignition conversion requires a mount bracket and the flywheel to be changed but everything bolts right in to do it. The carbs are interchangeable and the external shrouds, though the pcv hose would not have a carb inlet line on the 9hp.

dav

I think the blower housing shrouds are the same. but the shroud that wraps around the cylinder is just a tad different.

I had to stack some flat washers between the block and the shroud when I put a 23D shroud on what I believe is a 243xxx. I think the original shroud had a tab that stepped back whereas the 23D shroud is flat with a hole.

it may be that the block had a raised part with the threaded bolt hole in it.

although the motor sits in my Big Ten out in the shed, I did the work on it 7 or 8 years ago so what I did, and why, are kind of lost in the fog

WreckEmTech

I inherited a b1 and have not been able to find a model 19 around, but dad had a 23 in the corner of the shop that has been getting rained on for 40 years so the flywheel shroud is roached. The bottom is completely rotted out of it. It was on a sprayer and hasn't since the 60s so I'm hoping the inside is in good shape. I'm going to break it doe when I get a chance so that I can see what she looks like