Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

cable

Bear

I broke the cable for third time this year.I have a 38" hd on a 7117 with 1/4" air craft cable. Breaks at pulley 6" from end.I do make my own cables.Going to buy a factory cable, nothing is binding or pinched. Any suggestions

dentwizz

There is a wide range of quality control within the cable industry. You will see a much better flexibility with more strand count, as with unjacketted. without the jacket you can grease or oil the strands. Trade off being you have to.

dentwizz

The better cables have a form of lubrication inside. Not common but well worth the difference in cost. I replace cables a lot in my my line of work and the term of "aircraft cable" is loosely applied to a lot of less than aviation grade materials. Super flexible should cost a bit and industrial suppliers have a much better chance of being the good stuff than Home Depot or a hardware store.

SKIFOOF

the cable attaching point is different on a 38" from a 36",you don't use the pulley,just the spacer and it goes on the top hole not the bottom one,the spacer is in the same place the pulley was thats eliminated,maybe this will help,i also use factory cables with mine,never broke it either...so its opposite lifting than a 36, back on lift is down, forward is lift.