Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Bar problems

Simplicity_728

Have a 30" Sickle Bar on a Simplicity model D tractor, No matter what I try to cut with it, it always plugs up. Doesn't matter if it's an inch of grass on the lawn or 2 foot high thin weeds, it always plugs and stops until I cleam it out. Bar is razor sharp, everything is free. any advice?

I wonder if it's too free. In other words the blade and bar guides are too sloppy, which allows the blade to jump and allow the grass pinch in-between. I just replaced the bar and blade guides on my 36" gravely, however, I have not had a chance to practice cut yetC. jh

Ill second that. The blades cannot have any clearance between the stators and movers(general terms...) You don't want drag but you can't have space either.

Hi,

It might be worth checking that the blades/movers are doing the full stroke through the guards/staters (as stated by BLT and dentwiz), and the swath board (wooden blade and above it the steel bar) are on and adjusted also run at a slower engine speed, I have found that the vibration of the whole sickle bar helps keep the cut grass slide by over the top of sickle bar.

Dry grass

Standing grass (laid down definitely clogs mine)

don't cut to short, 2-4"

Getting the correct speed of blades with the correct tractor ground speed. same sort of problem as with snow blowing.

Sharp, sharp, VERY sharp blades.

PS I have 46" Sickle on 7117h and cut about two acres of 2-3ft high weedy grass

good luck