Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3314 v Leaking carb

BushMasterACR

I have an 3314v i am just beginning to restore. Trying to see if it runs. New oil, starter switch, battery. When i put gas in it started leaking at bottom of carb see pic below..green arrow shows the spot leaking from. Any help on a fix would be appreciated.

3314v Leaking Carb.jpg

57e05a51db52f_3314vLeakingCarb.jpg.6a0df4eb0d381601b5ae350d68b23619.jpg

thats what the fuel shut off is for .... har har har .

sometimes they get better once you get them running good but sometimes they need to be cleaned or rebuilt .

if you decide to take it apart BE CAREFUL TO NOT DAMAGE THE HIGH SPEED NEEDLE VALVE SCREW (on the left side of your pic ) the shaft runs at an angle through the carb ( its a pain ) . do some research into the carb first and try and adjust it .do you have the manual or a briggs repair book ?

I do not have the manual or briggs repair guide.

Is there a plug or oring type thing for that hole where it is leaking from ? Any part# info would help or a work around.

There is a reason it's leaking, and that reason likely is a stuck float. The float and needle valve either isn't sealing, or the float is shot and doesn't......well.........float. What is happening is the bowl fills up, and keeps filling to overflow and it happens to drip out of the bottom of the intake body. Many of us install shut off valves, which it appears as though that is what is on there but all juryrigged to be able to turn the valve. Replace all that crapola and get a new shut off valve (maybe 5 bux at NAPA). I use the plastic / nylon valve they sell.

That being said, it will keep the fuel from overflowing and leaking out, by cutting off the supply. If this happened almost as soon as you filled the tank, you will have to dissassemble the carb and fix it too. We add the shutoff becuase thes old carbs can leak a bit and maybe not seal up completely every time. But an instant and steady leak after filling the tank tells me the carb needs attention. Sometimes just pulling it apart and making sure everything moves freely and is clean can take care of it. There are certain ways to go about this, and if you search the forums there will be much info on the Briggs carbs.

Good luck, and welcome to the nut-hatch!

quote:Originally posted by BushMasterACR

I do not have the manual or briggs repair guide. Is there a plug or oring type thing for that hole where it is leaking from ? Any part# info would help or a work around.

id="quote">
id="quote">go here you can download three manuals per day for free . you may need to register . you can probably find your tractor you can for sure find the briggs book you need ( your carb is a two piece flowjet )http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/files/like the bushmaster said its leakin for a reason and if you plug the hole and dont fix it your whole carb will fill with gas .let me know if that works for you .

Yes, the hole keeps it from flooding. The vertical cousins were prone to flood induced oil problems because of it. As a procedure it is better for everything to shut the fuel off prior to engine shutdown anyhow to minimize old stale gas or seal deterioration anyhow.

FWIW, the new carbs have a solenoid plunger that is tied to the key to do the same function.

Thanks understanding the function makes for logic in the repair.

The shutoff valve that is on there does not work...

I will take the carburetor off clean it etc.

Thanks for the help.

So, something that hasn't been mentioned yet...You can probably rebuild it with all new parts, and it will still leak (I've done a couple, and both of them leaked). Its not actually leaking at the needle seat. What happens is that the high speed jet (the one that runs at an angle) seat gets dirty. Then the jet doesn't seat well, and it leaks past that seal, and out the bottom of the carb. I fixed both of my carbs by chucking a wooden stick q-tip (paper would probably work too) into my hand drill, and applied a small amount of black emery to it. Run that against the seat, and it will clean it up. Doesn't take much. No more leaking!

Mike H thats good info.

Just to understand...assuming cleaning the carb...will it still leak whilst the engine is running...or just after shutdown assuming enough gas still remains in carb after shutdown and closure of fuel valve ?

In a vertical updraft carb there will be a flow of fuel vapor out of the needle/jets as long as there is draw from the engine. Hence when the ignition is killed there will be a volume, however minute still between the carb and the compression chamber. For that matter out the exhaust(which can sometimes detonate a few seconds later in the muffler).