Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fitchnhunt

Oops! Part needed...

fitchnhunt

Evening all! Was out in the woods mowing a path today through the grass in the woods. I had walked it before starting to mow it to pick up sticks and branches. Took a pass through with the mower deck all the way up and had no issue. On the second pass after lowering it just a tad bit I hit a root that I did not see previously. Saw a few sparks fly but all seemed fine. After backing up I saw one of the blades laying on the ground along with a regular looking round washer and the bolt which holds the blade on. No damage to the bolt and the blade looked just fine. Brought the tractor into the garage and took a close look under the deck. It appears that I was still missing some sort of washer so headed back into the woods and was able to find half of the washer. It has a "splined" center hole which must mate up with the splined shaft on the deck. Needless to say I need a new washer at the very least. The bolt looks just fine so I'm not sure how this all came apart without shearing the bolt. I've had the tractor a month now...surprised it took this long for me to break something! Simplicity Sovereign 7119 with a 48" mower deck. I have the original manuals but no exploded parts listing. Recommendations? Feeling pretty crappy right now from my rookie mistake but I can guarantee you I wont make the same mistake again....."knocks on wood"!

BLT

Midway in this thread is a note on downloading Simplicity files. Your tractor and mower deck have product numbers beginning with 169XXXX and you can get both parts and operation books. I'm thinking you mower is 1690509.

PhanDad

For reference here's a post about rebuilding arbors and the various parts required:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=117904You'll see this pic of the splined washers:

Arbor_Spline_Washersa.jpg

The newer "gull wing" blade type on the left (has a shoulder that blade mounts on) and the older flat spine washer used with the flat blades.You probably have the gull wing type blades, the part number for that splined washer is 1679714. For the flat blades, the number is 1656927.Also, if your deck is the gull wing style, it's probably mfg #1691219Put that number in the box at this link and you'll be able to download a parts manual for the deck:http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals(The above link is in a "Sticky Post" at the top of this forum)

Arbor_Spline_Washersa.jpg.de2f02fec797499e601c0b1afe2bd56b.jpg

fitchnhunt

The broken piece of washer I have looks like the one on the right side of the picture. I tried searching through the threads here but couldn't find a parts listing. Still too new here to navigate all that well. Thank you very much for the replies. Time to start searching the internet for the best place to purchase a new washer. Any suggestions on a reputable site? Thanks again!!

PhanDad

As to purchasing parts, your local Simplicity dealer should be able to help you for the couple of parts you need. Other wise use one of our site's advertiser's - Sandy Lake, Jacks, etc.

Since you blades are flat, your deck might be a mfr #1690502; that deck has flat blades. Put that # into the box in the link above for a parts manual. One of the choices will be the Sovereign "Attachments and Accessories" parts manual. It's a good one since it has many items in a single manual.

And be sure you have the "spring washer" installed correctly - cone edge to blade. The gull wing design also used a standard lock washer in addition to the spring washer. I use them on all my decks even if the original parts diagram doesn't call for one - don't want the blades coming loose.

fitchnhunt

I'm not sure the difference in the blades-gull wing or flat. The blades I have are flat for the most part but on the end it does "angle" up just a bit. Would that be considered flat or gull wing? My guess would be gull wing but I'm still learning and don't want to assume. Thanks!

fitchnhunt

In doing some looking at pics of gull wing type blades online I'm thinkin I have flat blades. Just got off the phone with local simplicity dealer and have a new washer on order. Hoping that is all I am missing and will be back up and running in short order. PhanDad, what is the spring washer you are referring to? Did I miss something in the parts diagram? Thanks!

fitchnhunt

Nevermind......Monday morning and I need more coffee.......looks like the spring washer is the thicker washer I have. Didn't realize it was a spring washer and not a flat washer. Hoping I should be good to go in a few days.

PhanDad

Gull Wing Blades:

GullWingBlade.JPG

Flat Blade:

FlatBlade.JPG

The "spring washer" is part #22 in the flat blade diagram. It's a large cupped washer (some call it a Belleville (sp?) washer). I thought the gull wing blade decks called for a regular lock washer in addition to the cupped washer. Obviously I remember wrong; confusion with the older style, non-splined arbors.

GullWingBlade.JPG.9e3e291a447e626d17d004d0af073656.JPG

FlatBlade.JPG.5898e7f064fe53eae1d5f663d6bfdee1.JPG

fitchnhunt

Yup that is not the setup I have. Appreciate the help once again! I'm still baffled on how that splined washer broke but nothing else appears to be damaged. The bolt looks perfect yet. I was certain judging by the noise when it happened that I was in for more of an issue. Man I was puckered up when I hit that root and saw sparks fly.

fitchnhunt

I don't feel so bad now MikeES. Glad I'm not the first one to do this.

I can tell already this club is going to be a great place to belong. Dues paid this morning and happy to be aboard!

fitchnhunt

The dang washer finally came in today from our local dealer after waiting 8 days......I noticed along the outer edge on one side it is chamfered. I can't tell from the diagrams which way it is supposed to go on - if it really matters. Anyone know? Thanks!!!

Tom45

The splined washer should be flat. The spring washer which goes between it and the bolt head needs to act as a spring. The high side should be against the bolt head and the hollow side against the spline washer. There is a torque spec for the bolt, but you will feel the bolt go solid about at the torque spec for the bolt.

Tom

fitchnhunt

RayS, yeah don't think it would make a difference. Pulled the other 2 blades off right away and sharpened them seeing as I had the deck off and flipped over anyway. The chamfered edge was against the blade on those so that is the way I put the new one on.

Tom45, yep the splined washer is flat and the non-splined is a dish shaped spring washer of sorts. I understand how they go together and why.

Got everything put back together last night and got the mower deck back on. I have the original manuals for the tractor and attachments so I had the manual out for reference on routing the mower deck belt (2nd time I've put it on so still learning). I set the manual on the engine cover while I was routing the belt. Got that in and decided to fire her up. The second I engaged the PTO, the manual vibrated off the top of the tractor and landed right on the ground right up against the deck. I nearly crapped myself as I was reaching for the key to shut the engine off. I thought for damn sure I was going to have a confetti party on my hands. Thankfully it didn't get sucked under and all is well. I got the lawn mowed, put the tractor away, and had a beer. Kinda been snickering today about how it all happened.....