Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

polarizing

dav

on the rotor that fires the coil on my model 19 B&S there is a clamp to secure it to the crank. it says right on it, in raised letters, "DO NOT EVER REMOVE CLAMP".

naturally, I did not see this warning until I had the clamp off.

since a screwdriver still sticks to the rotor, I thought that I was good to go. but when I tried a test run of the reassembled motor, I had no spark.

knowing that B&S repolarizes flywheels for free, I decided to send the rotor to them in hopes that remagnetizing the rotor WITH clamp would cure the problem.

a call to B&S provided an address to send the rotor to. a trip to the post office provided a small 'if it fits' box and $5.90 of stamps each way covered the travel part.

the p o said the zip was good but the street address wasn't. I sent it anyway in the hopes that Menon..memeone .well whatever it is..is a small enough town that the post office would figure out where to deliver it.

july 3rd I mailed it and the tracking number told me it was delivered on the 6th. good

but a week of checking every day found nothing on the return tracking number. on the 14th, I decided to give them until Friday the 17th before calling. I mean, this is an antique NLA part...I don't want it getting lost now do I?

it showed up on the 15th! in a ups box. the whole 'if it fits' box was inside the ups box with my unused return postage still inside!

and a form letter. it says, basically, that they did nothing to the rotor. they don't do things to rotors and don't have the tooling to do it, even if they were so inclined.

what they WILL do is repolarize flywheels for 24 ci, 30, 32 and 34 motors. and that is it apparently. no other motor can be remagnetized

so I will again reassemble the motor in the hopes that I just had something a tad out of whack from what the out of production manual says. if that fails, then I will give a try to modifying a later coil as suggested in a post by briggsetc.