Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7114H circuit breaker or ignition switch issue?

DMKNLD

My 7114 H abruptly quit after 1/2 an hour of mowing - tried the ignition switch and no click or anything, then maybe 5 mins later it will fire after a momentary delay with the ignition switch in the on position, but it won't stay running. I waited another ten minutes or so and finally got it to start and keep running and got it into the barn. Pulled the battery to check the electrical connections and all seemed OK, nothing melted or disconnected, no obvious grounded out wires that I could see, but the ammeter terminal going to the circuit breaker was quite hot.

I checked the resistance across the circuit breaker terminals and it was 0 ohms, and there was voltage to ground to both circuit breaker terminals. Does that mean the breaker is OK, or could it still be getting hot and killing the power until it cools off and resets? Is there a good way to check the ignition switch before I start throwing parts at it tomorrow morning ? Any help is much appreciated.

Same thing happened to me a month ago. It wasn't that bad but was getting worse. My tractors have a safety switch for the front pto which I don't have so it's hot wired from the factory and the old electrical tape fell off so it was grounding out on the frame and causing the circut breaker to blow.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

What's the battery voltage read during this problem?

id="quote">
id="quote">I used my battery booster connected to the battery terminals so I could access the switch and connections to test with the meter, and got 12 volts to each breaker terminal.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

If the breaker keeps popping, you have a short happening some where.

id="quote">
id="quote">I didn't check the headlight wiring or the electric lift wires for shorts - I'll check those tomorrow, thanks !

My 7116 is basicly doing the same only it won't do anything. I jump it at the starter and will turn over but no start, have bypassed all safety switches and breaker still nothing. Haven't had time to fool with it, was running fine then all of a sudden this.I'm thinking seloniod? Don't have much hair left to pull out.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

My 7116 is basicly doing the same only it won't do anything. I jump it at the starter and will turn over but no start, have bypassed all safety switches and breaker still nothing. Haven't had time to fool with it, was running fine then all of a sudden this.I'm thinking seloniod? Don't have much hair left to pull out.

id="quote">
id="quote">What about your battery posts?

If the solenoid is getting power in and no power out it's burned internally. Just did one of those recently. Clicked strongly but no transfer.

Do you get spark when it is stopped and attempting to restart? If it is a winding/armature fail in the ignition coil it can be heat related. My grandma had a Deere STXC that would do 20 mins on and off at a time while that was problem. Is yours a magneto or battery coil engine? If it is a magneto the only thing that will cause an abrupt fail would be a coil or ground. If it is a battery coil then there would have to be an inlet issue.

My 7117 did this last month, different though in that it would not even crank after. Found the PTO safety switch had loosened to a point where it would not engage the safety switch with the pto lever thrown. I did find it helpful to jump across the solenoid. I have an automotive type push button type to jump the solenoid and it cranked when I jumped it. I also never got 12v from the small trigger wire (purple in my case) at the bottom of the solenoid when turning the key. Good luck.