Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pulley size Hb-112

dentwizz

I went to put a factory length(HA-47) belt on the transmission and found it to be considerably too long. The BGB pulley seems to match the guards but I don't know what the oem spec for the rear pulley is supposed to be. The belt that ends up fitting best is a 45". Presumably it was swapped for speed, which I can certainly go for, but I would like to know what the original was supposed to be.

Josh,

AN HB112(aka 3112H) is an elusive critter to find part#s for! Could be it was only in production for 1 year.

here is what I found...

using the Club site...

http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg1.htm

HB-112, 2029932, 3112H, 990500

Then off to Simplicity, using the..."Simplicity PRODUCT# (990500)"

I got...

'>http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8arF0rE3CNj5kbp796Dq.pdf

Getting the same info from PartsTree

http://www.partstree.com/parts/simplicity/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/hb-112-2029932-allis-chalmers-hb-112-garden-tractor-12hp-hydro/clutch-and-brake-group/

Yields this info...

Driven Pulley Simplicity 2166173ASM (replaces 2166173SM)**

"V" Belt Simplicity 2166172SM

**several searches results in replacement part #s

BUT all references to the belt come up as 1/2x47", Yet all drive belts, I have had the experience of stumbling over are 5/8" belts.

ALSO the slack in your belt may require an adjustment in the idler pulley (influenced by the brake/clutch adjustment).

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME FOR EXPERTS ON THE "YELLOW PRODUCTS" TO JUMP IN!!!sm06dOd

The slack is far beyond the range an idler can take up. I can pinch the bottom of the belt to the top, so it is moot. The belt settles exactly at the top edge of the pulley sheave, so it does seem to be a 1/2" design, not the hybrid 1/2 or 5/8 combination ones they sell in tractor supply.

If I was to replace I would look for 5/8 pulleys for sure. So the closest I can tell is jacks is saying 5.5" x3/4"?

Per my HB-112 Parts manual, the driven pulley is part #2027662 which crosses to Simplicity part #166173. As you stated, it's 5 1/2" in diameter for a 3/4" shaft.The hydro drive belt is part #2027581 which crosses to Simplicity part #166172 which is the 47.1" HA belt.The HB-112 Vickers hydro setup is basically the same as my Homelite T-12 Vickers hydro setup. I remember having some drive belt issues years ago (that belt lasts a long time if you don't use the clutch)and looked at my notes. My issue was that the Homelite parts listing calls for a 48.1" HA belt (#1602969) which is too long. I switched to the 47.1" belt and it's fine. A pic:

IMG_8280a.JPG

Could your issue be with the driver pulley? The above pictured setup has a 5.5" dia x 7/8" shaft driver pulley. It's Homelite part #1606206. The HB-112 driver pulley is part #2025664, it crosses to Simplicity part #154308. The Simplicity 3112H and 3212H use the same part number for the driver pulley. I can't find any info online as to the dimensions of that pulley. They don't exist in Jack's database. (I measured my Homelite driver pulley, that's how I know it's dimensions)Now for the interesting part: The Simplicity 3416H (Vickers hydro, same right side plate) driver pulley is a Simplicity part #157121. It's a 5.0" dia x 7/8" shaft pulley. So what's the diameter of your driver pulley?

IMG_8280a.JPG.b9ce4889edb71ce900af89e747ae6bc4.JPG

The idler is the same as what is pictured, but it does look different than the drive pulley. I haven't had a chance to measure it but the pulley is the same size as my 64LL(the one with the sliding face). If it is supposed to be bigger(aka FASTER:D) I would certainly like that feature...

Let us know how it works out.

I have an HB112 if you need me to measure pulleys to see if they are correct.

I have had a lot of issues with the drive belt slipping as well and have had to futz around with it to get it working reasonably well.

I did find that the long bolt that holds the tensioner pulley arm on had worn where it mounts to the frame so the whole assembly was tilting back a bit lessening the amount of tension on the pulley. I replaced that as well and things work better but still seems to be prone to slippage especially when cold.

I have it all apart at the moment rebuilding the leaky hydro pump so can measure easily if needed.

If you find you get good results with a different pulley and belt combination please let me know, I would like to give it a try as well though she is pretty quick as it is compared to my old Landlords.

Replace the spring preemptively. I was in a mow job a couple sessions ago and it snapped. Dead in the water doesn't work so well when it's in hills. Fortunately I was able to get the trailer and winch near it without leaving tracks. I will be using a Gates Tri-Power belt when the new pulley comes in, and possibly doubling the spring for a little more force since I don't rely on the clutch action very much.

Found out today when the 7/8 shaft pulley came that my bgb has a 3/4" shaft. Since I didn't feel like waiting for the mail system, I ran out to Tractor Supply and they had a B-600 pulley in 3/4" shaft. It would be 6" dia if used with a 5/8 belt but works out to 5.5 or so with the 1/2" belt.

Now its all set like it needs to be with the factor sized belt and functional brake. Dude it's fast now:D Tomorrow I'll get to actually mowing and finding how practical the increase is.

07302015485_zpseekhpsu2.jpg

07302015484_zpsjxbnuog0.jpg

07302015483_zps14asac3c.jpg

Glad to hear you've got your HB all ready for work.

Odd though. I thought all BGB's had 7/8" diameter output shafts with just the early BGB's have smaller input shafts. So my thinking is either wrong or somebody turned the end of the BGB shaft in your HB. Or maybe gear driven tractors have 3/4" output shafts and somebody swapped BGB's (been a VERY long time since I messed with a gear tranny tractor).

Adding to the mystery IMO is the listed part numbers for the BGB drive pulley (for which there is no info). If it's supposed to be 5 1/2" OD like my Homelite's BGB drive pulley but with a 3/4" shaft, why is the part # different from the driven pulley which is 5 1/2" OD for a 3/4" shaft?

My guess is that since a lot of other systems were "mutted" together when I got it in semi-working condition, the BGB may have been killed/replaced. The pulleys that came with it are identical in every way with the 64LL so I think it was swapped. At least now it's all the right belt sizes and speeds. The worst hack though was the engine. When they put the 16hp in it, the oil pan was rotated 180 degrees so the drain was on the wrong side.

They torched a hole to accomodate in the frame side. wah For a 4 bolt flip around... Really.