Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

p/s drag

yukon

got my legacy running after a new stator and flywheel now i have the powersteering is real slow my simplicity dealer thinks its the p/s pump under the dash going bad anybody have any ideas what to do, im going to change the filter in the next 2 days and see if that helps mean while any input will be appreciated.also it has a whine from the cylinder under the dash. i know you guys like pics so heres some and im going to keep it one way or another.

001.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

001.JPG.e8eeab6a588eb1522ba051e2e198e144.JPG

009.JPG.a332ecf4e8f88beec43a11beb9b0e852.JPG

010.JPG.c878598b477c7fa806c88a91bf108833.JPG

012.JPG.5fe8a2c3df7b1c8af3191170fcf25c9d.JPG

013.JPG.4085e982e67c8e8cc2b94751fe49d94d.JPG

014.JPG.a0bc15865ec0f95db99c8016c977de9a.JPG

Great looking tractor!! I'd start with checking hydraulic pump psi and flow. Your power steering pump is on the main hydraulic pump on the rear end. The power steering valve is under the dash. If there's a continuous whine under the dash maybe the relief valve is sticking in the power steering valve?

There is no power steering pump under the dash, there is a valve body that is fed fluid from the transaxle pump, is the fluid full to the trans? There is a clear tube in the rear of the transaxle that should show fluid level of 1-1/2 inches, if this is low your steering will be starved for fluid,

Curious to hear responses on this, because mine also makes the occasional funny whine noise on it too. More than one would expect to hear, yet the fluid level is good.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

got my legacy running after a new stator and flywheel now i have the powersteering is real slow my simplicity dealer thinks its the p/s pump under the dash going bad anybody have any ideas what to do, im going to change the filter in the next 2 days and see if that helps mean while any input will be appreciated.also it has a whine from the cylinder under the dash. i know you guys like pics so heres some and im going to keep it one way or another.

001.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

id="quote">
id="quote">

I notice you have a rear hydrualics kit on your legacy, have you bled this or attached anything to it? air in this section will cause problems, I believe it;s inline before the steering valve.

I looked closer at your picture it is a snow blade hydrualic kit, not rear, but it's plumbed the same inline at the pump before it goes to the steering.

• 2 weeks later...

When you go to check the fluid level in the tube on the back of the tractor, the book doesn't indicate any specifics other than it should show 1- 1.5 inches of oil in the tube.

For example:

Should the tractor be running when it is checked?

Should the tractor be warmed up first (driving forwards and back, moving the lift up and down, steering right and left)?

Should the mower deck be up or down?

Does anyone know the proper way to check it?

This is from the service manual.

"to check the transmission oil level, the engine should be off and observe the oil in the plastic tube at the rear of the unit, there should be 1-1.5 inches of oil in the tube when the transmission is cold.

So I followed the instructions you quoted, now when I drive it around there's no oil that shows up in the tube whatsoever. But when I turn the tractor off and it sits for a while it goes back to an inch to an inch and a half of oil showing in the tube. Does that sound normal to everyone else's legacy experience?

No it doesn't sound normal, you might have air in the system, I would guess it to be in the front hydraulics, temporarily attach the hoses to the snow blade cylinder, remove it from the blade to make this easier, once hooked up raise the front wheels off the ground, first extend and retract the snow plow cylinder fully in both directions, then raise and lower the deck hydraulics fully in both directions, finally turn the wheels both directions several times, you have just eliminated any air in your hydraulics, Does this improve your power steering problem? Fluid level should not change much unless air is trapped in the lines. JMHO

I agree...I added this aux hydro to my AGCO 2025, from a parts Legacy. I couldn't steer at all until I hooked up that circuit and bled the system.