Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Red Headed Step Child? Mystery solved?

Brettw

Picked up this Sovereign today. I have never seen one with a grill like this. It also has smaller front wheels and tires, and non tapered bearings, as well as the spindles appear to be of a smaller diameter. Sundstrand trans with the remote filter. ZCould this be a left over parts tractor? 7000 series with side pod headlights and maybe a homelite grill?

rcc.jpg

rcc.jpg.b13fdac8acad4984acd61bab4e534af4.jpg

Brettw

Yeah, Ray, that's what I thought, Homelite or some other. But the paint and decals all look original. Unless someone changed the front wheels and spindle assemblies and put a Homelite hood on it and painted it with new decals.....years ago...., this seems like something that came off of the line with a bunch of spare pieces?

RayS

It`s a 1978 decal used on a hood that was made a few years earlier. Might have used up what they had left over when they lost the Homelite line. Those lights were not used with that hood decal either. The grille definitely looks better that what Simplicity used in the 3300 and 3400 series.

Brettw

After finally having some time to dive into the tractor, shades of blue show up under the orange paint. Somone must have "changed" a Homelite into a Simplicity some years back. Hard to believe that they bought decals yaers ago, but they must have. It appears as though the tractor is original Simplicity paint and decals, old and worn, but everything points to a Homelite.

Anyway, got it running, although not well, and freed up the check valves in the hydro, they were frozen, one down. It runs and moves. Now to see if if pays to patch it up, or pass it on to one of the Homelite boys.........

Brettw
quote:Brett, Simplicity may have changed it at the factory. I bought a Deutz that had orange paint under it.id="quote">
id="quote">

That makes more sense. All the decals look to be original. Did the Homelites have a different front axle setup? A smaller wheel and tire seteup?

powerking_one

Brett,

What size tires/wheels are on the front? I thought all the large frame 12HP and up tractors (including Homelites) used 8" wheels with 16x6.50x8 tires? Since you say it doesn't have the Simplicity standard tapered roller bearings, maybe someone did do a "Franken-wheel" swap?

Tom(PK)

Brettw

Front wheels and tires are 15-6-6, but I can see they are some type of replacement. The spidles are the correct diameter and they are longer than would be needed ofr what is mounted, they are the correct length for a set of 16-6.50-8.

It appears to be stock and not some cobbled together rat. I can't get it to run properly. Sent for a carb kit although after taking it apart and cleaning it up it looks as though it should be good. But for 15 bux I'll put some new parts in it. It has a new set of points and condenser and it seemd to have spark, but almost intermitantly. It has good compression. I suppose I will end up pulling the motor and going through it. check all the wiring, clean it up and paint it. I must say the enigne looks pretty clean, so it isn't leaking oil.

720nut

Don't know guys but years ago before I knew they were worth anything I repainted a 1984 916 Duetz-Allis orange and used Allis Chalmers decals. Lived in western Pa at time, sold to a good friend and he died lost track of tractor. Anyone maybe buy it ?