Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to Me Broadmoor

Mike_H

So, Thanks to Josh (aka talentedmrgreen) I'm now the proud owner of a 287 Broadmoor w/ Hi-Lo. I've been kinda wanting an old round hood small frame for a while, cuz my yard just isn't big enough for a RBT with a 48 deck. Its ok, but there is a lot of jockeying around. I really like the round hood style...has a bit of design flair you just don't see today. The timing just happened to work out. One of my friends expressed interest in one of my 7016's and this just happened to pop up. It was meant to be.

Grass1Custom.jpg

Grass2Custom.jpg

I also think its one of the only tractors I'll EVER get in the bed of my shortbed F150!

Intheford2Custom.jpg

Anyway, its WAY smaller than I expected. Kinda comical to see a 6'1" guy sitting on one (especially with his dumb pant legs rolled up-I was in the pool).

dope2Custom.jpg

I did get my wife to admit its "cute" and to pose for a picture. She'll kill me if she finds out I posted it, but I think its Hot.

hottieCustom.jpg

Nevermind the tarp roof on my shed...Its getting replaced with a polebarn soon! sm06 Oh, and Josh, it was nice to meet you today...You have an AMAZING collection of stuff crammed into a fairly small area...you're not a packaging engineer by chance, are you?

Grass1Custom.jpg.92c5d8a35e414592520cea37c2683e9e.jpg

Grass2Custom.jpg.6ac1b079397f7d07a9693bf56320451a.jpg

Intheford2Custom.jpg.2ef2af73c009faa23276c724d7b7c30e.jpg

dope2Custom.jpg.3666ca76b1da624540e64d9207e3db3d.jpg

hottieCustom.jpg.7210573e55b28f9c05fb2f8890f55c5e.jpg

Mike, I think you're going to like it. I've been messing with mine this summer (in the process of rebuilding/repairing the hi-lo) and while a little small (I'm 6'0" w/ long legs) the thing that took the most getting used to was the central pivot mid-frame. Your yard looks pretty flat so you may not get the effect that much but mine is up and down and its pretty weird having your feet roll one way while your seat rolls another. I think your going to fall in love with it. It cuts great and is quite maneuverable.

Glad you are enjoying it Mike...and it was a great pleasure meeting you as well. dOd

Double cheers on wife-posing-on-tractor photo!:J

Thats the beginning of acceptance....your barn will be full not long after the shingles are laid!sm06

Nice tractor. Dhoadley hit the nail on the head. These are very agile little machines. I miss driving my Homesteader and Broadmoor tractors.

I mowed with it yesterday, and aside from the brakes needing some adjustment, its pretty nice. It is perfect for my yard. I can get up close to all the flowerbeds my wife has planted, and its not too bad in the corners either (my backyard is fully fenced)...I might be able to sell my push mower...

I cut an acre of grass with one for ten years. It's a great little machine. Still have it. You will enjoy : )

I am enjoying it. Gave her a bath today, adjusted the clutch and brake, and sharpened the blades (they're so cute). Degreased everything, and she's in real good shape. Had a decent respray (quslity), and was rebuilt right. After I got it clean though, I noticed the frame doesn't match the fender! Haven't decided if I'm going to repaint yet. But I probably will...cuz I can.

What kind of muffler can I run on this engine? The cigar shaped one is pretty loud. It got better after I tightened it up (loose in the block), but still pretty loud.

Mike, the cigar shaped (I like that description!) is OEM, but they do have a little pop to them. Being that it's out the side, anything you can fit there would work. With the right adapters, you could even get a car muffler on there ;)

Are they the standard or deluxe tires? Mine has wider tires, so I wasn't sure which was which. I'm sure you'll love it, they are very nice small machines.

I take it this is the Simplicity version of a B 207 Allis ? not real up on Simplicity side of things, even though I own one, 7116. Nice tractor also nice to see wife involved, now if mine would do that.

The B207 is equivalent, but made a couple years later, and with a Peerless tranny vs a Simplicity one.

Nice little machine there.dOddOd

You can get some 3/4" pipe fittings (a nipple and a 45) and angle the muffler toward the ground and forward. This will direct both the exhaust and the noise away from the operator seat.

Good looking tractor.

And great job getting your wife on the tractor for a pic. Now the trick will be to have your wife think it's her tractor so she can mow with it.

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

Are they the standard or deluxe tires? Mine has wider tires, so I wasn't sure which was which. I'm sure you'll love it, they are very nice small machines.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have standard tires...They are very narrow. I'm actually hunting for a wider set....I like the looks better.

Originally posted by Mike_H
quote:
id="quote">Mike-If I can find a wide set, I'd trade you straight up. Would that interest you? My Squire 6 has AGs on it, but should have the narrow rears, and I like those that were on your Broadmoor, but had nothing to swap them out with ;)

If you plan on pushing snow with your plow, you may want to keep your

original wheels and put chains and weights on them.

Then find a set of wide wheels to put on for cutting grass in the

summer. It is MUCH easier to simply change out the wheels than to

put the chains and weights on every fall!

Tom

Funny you should mention the pivot in the middle! First time I mowed with my AC B-207 and went down thru the ditch at an angle, I was sure I broke my tractor in half 'til I realized that was due to the pivot point.

Josh, I'll send you a PM...

Tom, This is purely a mower for me, I have a 7016 that will be doing bigger chores, such as pushing snow and grading.

This thing does cut nice though. Gotta figure out how to adjust the governor though...last time I ran her, she had a couple moments when she wanted to stall while releasing the clutch, but picked back up after the load lessened.

So, the ole girls is running pretty good. Got the blades sharpened, clutch/brake adjusted, and tuned the carb a bit. Shes a little underpowered for the thick grass in my front yard, had to slow down to low to get through it neat today. I'd REALLY like to copy/recreate a mulching kit for this deck this winter, but don't know if I have the power. Kinda makes me want to find an 8 HP with starter...Anyway, something I noticed today, she was a little smokey when I shut her down to get through my gate. Oil was a little low, so I left her cool off, and added some. Still seems to smoke when I finished. Is this normal? Doesn't burn any oil when running, well, not noticably anyway. Any idea what is burning off? Doesn't really smell like oil. Finally, anyone have an owners manual for this engine? Its a 146702-0122. I looked at the Briggs site, and was only able to find the IPL

stripes.jpg

stripes.jpg.a8641794cdfcbf90de57627d464b71f3.jpg

Mike:

I would cjeck to make sure that you don't have a mouse house under the cowl. Running hot would use oil as it would also hurt the power output. Might want to check.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Mike:I would cjeck to make sure that you don't have a mouse house under the cowl. Running hot would use oil as it would also hurt the power output. Might want to check.

id="quote">
id="quote">Mouse house for the win...Pulled it apart tonight, and YUCK! What a mess. I pulled all the tin, and cleaned it up good. Lots of oily gunk (probably mouse pee and poo too) packed into the fins. I also found a coil with electrical tape wrapped around the spark plug wire...Its been working, so why mess with it. I did put something back together wrong though...its not spinning over. I'll have to pull it back apart tomorrow. I ran out of daylight today.

smallmh1.jpg

smallmh2.jpg

smallmh1.jpg.2e6b42d7739ddbf212f086b2e6478589.jpg

smallmh2.jpg.6fa6f94324e73437ce01010962affb58.jpg

Yep, been down that road before with a mouse nest made with insulation under the shroud. Was a larger engine, and Ruined engine before I could clear out.