Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

littlemarv

Well, I decided to try spray painting a tractor once. A restoration by no means, just making it a little more pleasing to the eye. Here goes......

IMG_6625_zpsjlxvekcn.jpg

Brought it in to tear it down,

IMG_6626_zps4hpccgxv.jpg

Put it up on stands to install a rear lift, and just to be easier on the back in general.

IMG_6627_zpsz44xz2ap.jpg

Put the lift arm on, not sure if its even the right one, but should work.

IMG_6628_zpsomxs5tfp.jpg

Took a crack at making my own cable, crimped it in a vise, and peened it with a center punch, we will see if it holds up.

IMG_6629_zpsoyhacvcr.jpg

Bought this 2" pulley at Fleet, bushed it down to 3/8".

IMG_6632_zps0iplyof7.jpg

This is the best routing I could come up with, just barely rubs on the hydro case when all the way up.

IMG_6633_zpscpvxxfkd.jpg

IMG_6634_zpscq1cssxf.jpg

IMG_6635_zpse8eiarbw.jpg

Like my sturdy paint stand?

IMG_6637_zpsgfqatdcl.jpg

Thanks to member ron7, got an extra set of headlights to make some rear work lights....

IMG_6638_zpsaymnqksn.jpg

IMG_6639_zpsbkvcwsdz.jpg

Heres the bulbs I used, I actually have two spots and two floods up front, but for the rear I figured four floods would do the trick. The link over in tech tips doesn't work anymore, so I found them at Walmart.com, Satco part number S1970.

IMG_6640_zps9mumvm8t.jpg

Masked everything off,

IMG_6642_zpsees43pdh.jpg

IMG_6643_zpskmkpdomk.jpg

IMG_6644_zpsfwtxceuq.jpg

IMG_6645_zpsnnc6lrw7.jpg

IMG_6647_zps311c4gzh.jpg

Here is a deck that I picked up, halfways restored, just need to finish up reassembling, and paint it the correct color, looks like he was putting back together for an Allis.

IMG_6648_zpsq7ublgjy.jpg

So, need a few parts for that yet, but we can finish the tractor for now, and get it out of Mommas parking spot in the garage, anyways.

This tractor came with some god awful seat off an MTD on it, it sat so dumb that the five minutes before your butt went completely numb were rather excruciating. So, I discovered that a seat out of a dump truck also bolts right up to a Simplicity seat pan with a little drilling and shimming. Its really neat cause I can slide it forward for my young apprentice to drive, then slide it back for me. Plus its really comfortable, just need to get another armrest.

IMG_6651_zpsn7vd5uxw.jpg

Someday, I'm going to sit down with about 10 different rolls of wire, and make a neat, professional looking harness for every single tractor I own. Until that day, scraps of wire and butt connecters and zip ties are the ticket.

IMG_6650_zpssha67qcs.jpg

Well, we've been working on putting this tractor back together for about four hours now, and we haven't put a single thing away. Lets survey the shop.

IMG_6652_zpsm3tz8zhh.jpg

IMG_6653_zpsxiibncf4.jpg

IMG_6654_zpstku48g6c.jpg

Looks about par for the course. Oh well, I'll clean it up after he goes to bed.

I don't even get to take the maiden voyage anymore....

IMG_6655_zpsmjethwqo.jpg

IMG_6657_zpsksf36voi.jpg

Better hang something on the lift to test the cable.

IMG_6658_zpsjofguv5c.jpg

So, there it is. Just need to apply the decals (should be here this week) and finish up the mower deck and we should be riding in style.

IMG_6659_zpswxv8v27a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I like that custom rear light setup. You've made her (3416h) a proud member of the family. Good to see the little guy get right in there too. Keep us informed of cable use and reliability. 3 cheers on a super job & post. gw

Looks good, especially the paint.And the rear lift cable routing looks correct based on this pic of a 3410 I picked up years ago:

3410H_0006.jpg

3410H_0006.jpg.82ba7afb44d2c1d3e16d91125194ab5d.jpg

Ryan:

Because you do such nice work - -- -Maybe I should have you do my '52 WD just to "practice" for when you get your unstyled WC??????

Nice!

What color is the hood and wheels? My 3410 has almond refrig enamel on it that looks like that exact color. Shines!!

The hood and wheels are Rustoleum pewter grey. The Orange is Rustoleum Chevy Orange Engine Enamel. Boy that Rustoleum really lays down nice. The primer was Rustoleum high strength bond primer or something like that. Comes in a white can with a white cap.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_6773_zpstdpoffyt.jpg

IMG_6774_zpsfcdm63tn.jpg

IMG_6775_zpsgydszcdo.jpg

There! Finished! Complete! Nothing more to do here!

Oh wait a minute, theres a snowblower to fit it, and over there is the vacuum collector for doing leaves this fall, gonna need to build a cart for that, and a boot to go on the deck, probably should figure out why the clutch pedal doesn't do anything, could use poor mans power steering, it would look nicer with hubcaps,..................

Looks like you may have to get another one he doesn't look like he wants to give it up any time soondOd Nice job

Nice Job...I change the seat though. I'm sure its comfy, but it really detracts from the look, IMHO. The rest of the tractor looks so good.

Comfy, yes. Functional, not so much. The steering wheel is too far away, and the center of gravity is so high I can't get traction on hills. Sadly, I think an original seat is in order. It was worth a try though.....

The old mans tractor threw a rod the other day so I hauled mine up and brought his home, mowed his entire lawn, 3 hours straight seat time. Good way to really test the machine out. Kind of a neat picture from behind the barn.

IMG_20150904_190331049_zpsi1kzgylv.jpg

Looks good. Wish I had the time to put into the old machines I have sitting around. You said it was your first effort spray painting. What type of spray gun did you use.

That 3416 is really nice. Given reasonable care and maintenance, that tractor very well could last for your son's lifetime. Heirloom quality.

I have been thinking about selling my 3410 but I can't part with it. True love. ^

Enjoy!