Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powerking_one

Tranmission drive belt "flutter" on a 3314H

powerking_one

On this tractor with the Vickers tranny/hydro unit, the drive belt seems to have a lot of slack/idler side belt flutter which translates to ~~ 1/2" of movement on the clutch rod tube and the clutch rod threads (between the adjustment jam nuts thereof)thus resulting in a lot of wear on those. I've checked both pulleys for run-out/damage and they seem fine as does the belt. It does it under load or neutral at any engine rpm. The belt is not slipping from what I can tell.

So, is this normal (my guess is it might be due to the nature of the hydro charge pump pulses or something)? I don't have another Vickers tractor/unit to compare it to.

Thanks,

Tom (PK)

theniteowl

My HB112 and 416H both have a lot of slack in the drive belt. I had a lot of problems with slippage until I managed to get them adjusted. They still have a lot of slack but do not slip much any longer.

dentwizz

I've been tempted to put on a collar/spring set on the rod like the 64LL to reduce the chatter. Dad's 2210 makes the same buzz/rattle at the pedal.

On my HB-112 I just put on a second spring to hold the belt tighter. It seems to help a little but the pedal buzz is a design flaw of having two hard surfaces that get clearance.

MikeES

Same problem with my HB212, and with all the hours it has, I do have things that needed to be rebuild.

Looking at the drive running you see the belt tightener pulley bouncing up and down rhythmically, would guess that it is a variation in belt thickness or out of round pulley, it is not a tension issue.

I tried original Sim belts to other brand belts and found it better but not solved.

As Tom stated I have no deflections in the pulleys, I do not have any spread in the sheave halves. I have not tried changing pulleys. ?

I have a 3415H Vickers that does NOT have this problem, and 3 Sundstrands that do not.

I thought that I had the only tractor that did this, and was a condition of having many 1000s of hours on it.

PhanDad

IMO I don't have much flutter in the drive belt setup. However there is movement of the clutch rod, especially on engine acceleration. Here's a video I shot today:

powerking_one

Thanks Bill for the video. My idler assy/belt when running is like a box of Mexican jumping beans compared to your Homelite. I guess I'll do a more more investigative dive into the pulleys and belt again; maybe setup a dial indicator with magnetic base to really tell a better story of any pulley/sheave runnout issues.

Tom (PK)