Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5216H differential

tripleguy

The differential on my 5216 started leaking a bit this year. It won't do it right after I cut but maybe a few days later after it sits. Not a lot - maybe a spot 2-3 inches long by 1 inch wide and then it stops. I top off fluid every month with gear oil. Must I replace the gasket and if so, is this a big job? Might it be one of those items you just watch and keep up with by adding a squirt of fluid each season? Tractor runs great otherwise. Thanks.

I am wondering if there is a breather on the differential. If there is and it is blocked up, the pressure will push grease out. I would also go over the bolts holding the halves together and make sure they are tight. I am assuming it is leaking at the seam where the two halves meet? Or is it out by the axle shafts? It is a pretty good sized job to remove the tranny and split it open, replace the gasket, and re-assemble and remount. I wouldn't do it unless the leak is really bothersome. Just my opinion.

Steve

Thanks Steve. It's leaking from the halves. I tightened the 3 bolts near the bottom half that I could easily reach but not much difference. I think I'll clean it up good the next time the deck is off and then park it on a large sheet of cardboard. I can live with adding an ounce or two each season.