Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16 hp noise

bigdog46

I recently acquired a Simplicity 7116 that has the 16 hp Briggs 326437 engine. The engine starts easily and runs great but has a tapping or rattling noise especially under load. The crankshaft does not have any play. I have removed & cleaned head and installed 2 headgaskets as was suggested by Al Eden in some earlier posts with no effect. I am thinking that the camshaft might have too much end play and I need to shim it. Just wondering if any other members may have had this same experience? Thanks for your input.

Check to be sure all motor mount bolts are bolted down tight. A loose motor can and will cause tapping and rattle noise.

I would check the throttle shaft bushings and ignition timing. I had a dreadful amount of knock/ping at first with mine until I retarded the bracket the armature is on(if yours is Magnetron. Otherwise it would be at the points). The easier one to check is if you hold the throttle shaft with your finger to keep it from bouncing, does it stop the noise? Oddly enough I had that recently on mine. A little loctite to hold the idle screw stop arm onto the shaft and it pretty much went away. Apparently the shaking throttle setting was messing the mixture up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a 38 model ZZ with an aggravating tapping noise on a garden tractor for years. I have checked everything easy, finally assumed it is a piston cracked in the boss. Quietly finding new parts on Ebay. You might have the same problem

I have a question on the head gaskets, why would anyone recommend running two. Can;t say I've ever heard of, second gasket would create more volume thus reducing compression. I believe you need to check timing. Just my $.02

Lowering comp would theoretically reduce ping. Lazy way to do it IMO. The mount on the coil is timable and if the system is non-magnetron it can be adjusted at points. If it doesn't adjust at the points there is something way off. Just make sure to check the timing procedure in the manual as it is in there.