Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New engine 38 hp Kohler

720nut

Just a heads up here. Just got my Exmark back Kohler replaced the engine seems there's a extreme heat issue causing failure. If anyone has one of these engines advise you check with your dealer, there is a recall, but engine has to fail for them to replace.

I have two both were ticking bad but second has yet to start missing and poping and loss of power. These are the 999 cc engines with carburators replaced with 980 fuel injected engine. Time will tell

Rick there not bad engines, up untill problems they gave us none. mow anything you put in front of them. I'ld buy another knowing Kohler will stand behind them, we were supplied with another mower and cost us nothing while they were swapping engines. Full warranty on new engine.

Well here at R&L Yard Care is goes like this:

78 yards to mow in 5 days, 8 of which are Sovereign roller deck cut only, those 8 are 5000 sq/ft or less, done in 5hrs-30min on Wed each week.

The remaining 70 are split between 2 - 3 person crew with 1-61"z, 2- 52-54" z and either 2-" mower or 36" z

We only have 1 61" z so on my trailer I have the old Hustler 275 72" mower, Duetz Allis 3016 z, Hustler hydro walk 54"z with sulkie and 36" hydro walk Hustler.

We have 7 over 2 acre properties we team up on. If we start at 8 am Monday and run until 6pm by Friday at noon we are done providing no rain delays or breakdowns.

The only spare machines are the P-max and a JD RX95 which are good but not even close to the z's in productivity.

My Hustler 275 was made in 1978 and has 7328.2hrs on the chassis plus 1946.3 on a rebuilt Kohler 582, it's getting time to replace.

When you are commercial loaner machines are either not available or given with "no more than 2hrs use" clause.

A week with the P-max replacing 1 54" z meant Sat morn by noon to get done.

That's why I like these tech tips, I like things to go smoothly and hate all the overtime and wasted time hauling new equipment back to the dealer and wait.

Thanks again

Rick, we mow 60+ yards 1-2 acre in 4 days Monday thru Thursday, Friday rain day. The dealership I bought mowers from is very good about supplying loaner equipment, they got me used mower that beat the dog crap out of me, I complained and they pulled brand new mower off floor. We only have the two 60in. Exmarks at this time. Sold other mower when we bought these, lookin to buy another in near future don't know if it will be a big block or not depends on how this 980 proforms.

mowers 001.JPG

mowers 002.JPG

mowers 003.JPG

old engine

57e061b9cadff_mowers001.JPG.2f4e770d776327134f7aba9485123dbd.JPG

57e061b9dd524_mowers002.JPG.edaed060ba558d4bf461791cdd498585.JPG

57e061b9e8e92_mowers003.JPG.78cf694f01d425fbd38e2fb56785733d.JPG