Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shopping help needed, quick!

country

The deck on my Allis 917H is finally past the point of repair. I'm searching craigslist, and found two other tractors I'm interested in.

1998 Agco Allis 1720H, 20hp Briggs, 54" deck, PS, hydraulic lift, Locking Diff, 450 hours, clean looking machine. Asking $975.

Agco Allis 2020, year unkown, 25hp Kohler, 48" deck, PS, hydraulic lift, hi-lo tranny, 840 hours, should be shaft drive deck. Asking $1500.

I only need a machine to mow with, as I plan to keep my 917H with the blade, ag tires, and wheel weights. The 2020 seems to be much more tractor than the 1720. What is the Simplicity equivalent to the 2020? The 1720 I'm more familiar with as its the same as the newer landlords.

Suggestions on which is better for the price?

Hello Darin -

I can't tell you about the Agco tractors, but ...

why don't you jest get a replacement deck for your 917?

It uses a common deck so you should be able to find one locally or

close by, for a MUCH smaller price that you would pay for whole tractor!

Tom

Thanks for the quick responses! I haven't had much luck locating a good 48" deck in my area, or at a distance I'm willing to drive. I've been looking on and off for over a year.

I'm going to start by looking at the 2020.

Ended up buying the Agco Allis 2020 for $1100, after pointing out:1. The rear tires are starting to crack2. Needs a new deck belt3. Needs all oils and filters changed4. Body is faded from sitting outside5. The outside of the deck has been chewed by the blade6. Center deck spindle has a little wiggle (but not severe yet)7. Starter bendix doesn't always want to engage8. The seat is missing bolts to the mountNeeds some cosmetic help and minor things, but I didn't see anything mechanically wrong. It must have been repowered in its life, because the tag is a 1693221, which is a 20hp. It has a 25 hp Command in it now, which is why I couldn't figure out how a 25hp machine ended up with a 48" deck. A larger deck won't fit into my shed anyway.Now I obviously want a 3pt hitch and front blade. Will likely end yp trying to sell or trade my 917H with front blade to try an acquire these items.

Agco.jpg

Agco.jpg.f86d46f0a7f62e2e8c43cd4a178a6839.jpg

Great purchase.

But keep your 917H with blade.

If you find a snow blower for the 2020 you'll have both blade and blower to handle all types of snow.

I'm not going to have enough storage room to keep the 917 and blade. Also, we don't get enough snow in the St. Louis to justify the expense of a blower. For me, a blade is useful for more than just moving snow.

1. buy tubes for the rear tires

2.3-point hitch is in classifieds

3. If you buy a blower or front blade there is a subframe necessary.

4.Fix the center spindle thats where the power transfers fron the gear box.

5.polishing compound will bring the paint back.

6. the starter bendix and lower harness are where I've had problems with mine.

7. have a welder add a 1/4 bar to the deck edge, it will protect it from future damage.

You really got a great tractor, and a great price.

Seen the 3 point hitch in classifieds. Don't foresee getting that any time soon, but will miss not having a rear lift.

Would rather get a front blade first.

I don't know anything about these newer tractors.

If Country's 2020 tractor is a "Legacy" then there is a front blade

listed on this site's classified section right now!

Tom