Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

External 620 alternater

720nut

Hey guys I know this has been done several times but thought I would do my own. Here are several pics as I get started. I have a hub pullry for hydraulic pump as this is going to be a dedicated loader tractor

620alt 001.JPG

pretty tight quarters

620alt 002.JPG

empty area largest lawn battery I could buy

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

hub and pulley still needs welded

620alt 005.JPG

620alt 006.JPG

sorry for the mutiple posts it scripted me out. I will continue to post pics as I go

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

A couple more pictures as we progress

alt2 001.JPG

alt2 002.JPG

Have decided that I need 1/2in belt 17 in long of course this will probably change as I go

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Isetta ,will have to put in mill and cut small keyway in pulley hub. Large pulley has 3/8 key but I believe I only need 1/4 key for alternator.Could probably drill small hole for say 1/4in. pin and a hole in end of crankshaft to hold it from turning, I chose the key and tacked it in place to hold it We've been up north this weekend so tonight I'll get back to it.

Almost there a few more hours and contact time.

alt3 001.JPG

alt3 002.JPG

alt3 003.JPG

alt3 004.JPG

alt3 005.JPG

alt3 006.JPG

Alternator came off Ebay, I just searched mini alt and first one that came up.

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Thanks Bob, I'm not good at remembering the critical things I just buy and make work.

Anyone know what gauge wire from alt to battery should be?

Well now you have to go back to your E-bay purchase to find out the output and if it is a one or three wire hook up. It could go up as high as 70 amps. From alternator to battery as shown, a stub 4 ga should suffice with 70 A and a stub of 10 ga should be ok for 30 amp. Either way I would install voltmeter in lieu of your ammeter and run your signal wire from ignition switch. Also you can remove ammeter wiring.

Other than wiring it's finished.

alt4 001.JPG

alt4 002.JPG

Bob do you have a diagram of what your referring to? I hope this helps others who are considering it.Mini Chevy Denso Alternator 1 wire small one wire new 70amprotation; CWregulator;I/R amperage;70amp voltage;12-14.7 voltpulley;V-1 pulley

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

I don't have a wiring diagram for voltmeter. There should be one in the box. All you need to do is tap into ignition wire to coil for power and run a ground wire where indicated.

• Like 1

Lloyd

How about showing a little more detail on your tensioner bracket.

I used 10AWG wire with a 30 amp inline fuse.

John U

• Like 1

John I'll post pics but pretty simple. just a 1/4 X 1.5 angle bolted to frame and 3/16 X 1in. flat bar slotted on alternator end for adjustment very simple.

altbracket 001.JPG

altbracket 002.JPG

altbracket 003.JPG

Sorry they came out a little dark but I believe you can get the idea. Used it last night to dig potatoes till it died,seems timing moved so next step to put electronic ignition on, just doesn't want to leave shopDidn't realize but belt stopped right with part # in veiw

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

did you tie into the wiring for the original system or just keep it completely separate except for the 12v sensing wire

This is very neat Lloyd! Some day, I hope to get a PowerMax some day. There was one close by for $1800 with cab, plow and deck. Sold before I could get to it.

Folks with Datsun Roadsters who upgrade the charging system like to use Subaru Justy alternators. They are very small. Might be another option.