Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
george116

17GTH-L comparison to 7100 series

george116

I posted a while back asking for some input on the value of a 7114 in my area that I was considering for my first mower/tractor. I didn't end up getting that one for various reasons, so I'm still on the lookout. I've found a 17GTH-L listed at what seems a reasonable price. I understand they are basically the next incarnation of the 7100 series. Are there any significant differences that I should be aware of (besides the paint scheme, which is inferior to the 7100s in my opinion)? Thanks!

Brettw

No differences. Just a different paint and decal scheme. They all came with a hydro lift I believe,and the engine is the same as a 7117. The only potential "difference" othe than the paint and decals is that they all came with a 17 horse Kohler where as the 7100 series were offered with a number of horsepower combos and options. GTHL were all the same engine and option package for that year/s I believe.

Great tractor.

PhanDad

As others have said, the tractors are pretty much the same - Except for the engines.

I believe a 7114 would have a single cylinder Kohler vs the KT17 in the GTH-L. IMO, the single cylinder are more "bullet proof" than the KT17. The KT17 should be a series II in the GTH-L, which is all pressure lubed (better than the series I). But the KT17 has more power and since it's a twin, runs smoother.

Also running a KT on a slope can cause issues with low oil level, a quote from SmilinSam:

"The jugs on the Simplicity, Deere, and Cub motors stick out the sides of the tractor with the pto shaft facing frontwards. The Wheel Horse has the pto out the side with the jugs to the front and back.

The oil pick ups on the opposed twins are not centered in the block side to side, so when you mow sideways along a steep hill with Deere, Simplicity or Cub applications you can end up having the pick up sticking up out of the oil if the hill is steep enough with the wrong side of the engine pointing up. I don't remember which side of the block the pick up is on anymore. Been a long time since I had one of those apart."

Don't know why, but the GTH-L I picked up about 10 years ago had a blown KT in it.