Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3314H Battery Question

powerking_one

So my 3314H let me down today, I knew the battery was getting tired; 9 years old. Measured 10.8 volts after a charge, thus a shorted/dead cell. The whatever stickers/markings on it are long gone. So, was this a group 22NF or a group 51 battery originally? The parts lookup's and service manual do not dictate any info. Yeah I know others have sub'd the group 51 for the 22NF, but just wanted to see what the original battery spec was. So was there an "official" change over to the group 51 battery in the running board tractors at some point?

Tom (PK)

Don't have any specs to back up my opinion, but I don't think the spec changed for RBT batteries.

The 22NF is the proper battery for RBT tractors because it has the hold down ledges (tabs) on the ends of the battery; the 51R doesn't. The RBT battery hold down clamps use these ledges.

I think most folks (me included) use the 51R's because they're easier to find and usually cheaper. The only issue I see in using a 51R is if a roll over occurs, the battery may contact the hood making sparks right where gas will be leaking from the gas tank cap.

The 51R battery might be the battery spec for FDT if they are all like my B-110. It uses an "over the top" bar with J rods to hold the battery down. No end ledges required.

Bill is correct about the mounting tabs. Around here the 22NFs are pricey. I think the cheapest 22nf around here is $60. I have been using cheap exide flat post L&G batteries @ $18 each and get 3 years on average. That's only $6/year operating cost. If a 22NF or 51R lasts 5 years @ $60 that's $12/yr cost.

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten that the 51R battery didn't have the hold down tab on the base. The 51R in my 2110 is just sitting in the tray since the top metal hold down bar is long gone (and obsolete/NLA). It'd be nice if someone elected to do a reproduction run of that hold down bar, maybe the J-hook rod as well.

Tom (PK)

For years I used a commercial truck tarp bungee to hold the bttery in my FDT. BTW if rollovers are a concern, a re-purposed sheet of inner tube over the battery would help with any sparking.