Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Price of car/tractor batteries gone crazy

powerking_one

Well, I was in for some sticker shock checking prices for a new 22NF battery for the Sovereign; how about $100.00 from Tractor Supply (and the best price around)!!! A month ago or so I had to buy a group 78 battery for the Impala and it was $105.00 from Wally World. Even shopping for a group 51R got me the best price of $89.00. I'm wondering if the EPA has been slapping on through the roof fees to the manufacturers or something in recent years. So much for the cheapy $49.99 ones any more.

It's like motor oil prices have skyrocketed in the last few years yet gas prices keep dropping.

Befuddled...

Tom (PK)

I sell batteries and our cost hasn't fluctuated all that much in the past few years. Personally i would use the 51r over the 22nf. The 51 6 year battery we sell is 500cca and the 22nf is 360 cca .Basically the 22nf is a larger lawn mower battery and you wont get the longevity that you do out of an automotive type battery. The 5 year 51r list is $67 the 6 year is $80. This is for acdelco batteries.

quote:

22NF battery is on sale for $44.99 right now at Farm and FLeet through August 30.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/040567-blains-farm-and-fleet-12v-24-month-commercial-battery.html

id="quote">
id="quote">So I called Farm and Fleet after visiting their web site punching in the SKU number and 22NF search option; no hits. The guy on the phone did verify the SKU/PN and said you would have to check each store for stock or not. My guess is they are weeding out the old inventory/old date codes and it is a catch as catch can basis. They are only based in the mid-west and nowhere near New Hampshire. Go check the commoner's stores like Auto-Zone, Advance-Auto, O'Reilly's, etc. My guess if you query them for a stocked 22NF battery, it would in the $100.00 ballpark range. The 22NF I got today from Tractor Supply has a date code of 6/2015.

Tom(PK)

51R for $100 or less is still same as I paid in 2009. That said, I would not go for anything less in these as I am still running that battery with no problems. That extra margin is nice in the winter or when it gets stubborn to start.

Tell me about it I have had to buy 3 so far this year, I've got almost 300 bucks into battery's this year, imo it's a lot more fun to spend 300 dollars on an attachment then battery's

Originally posted by powerking_one
quote:
id="quote">Well, I actually posted that information more as a courtesy to anyone who may be looking for a 22NF battery. I can tell you that they always have those batteries on the shelf (at least whenever I look). The Mills Fleet Farm store (basically the same as Farm and Fleet) here in my town always has them on the shelf as well in the just under $50 range. Just passing along information.

Interesting. Our Rural King in MO does not have the 22NF or the 51R batteries. They have plently of $20 Lawn Tractor batteries, that for tractors used in the summer only, will work fine and last 3+ years.

some shocking EPA stats; In the last 6 years EPA has insttuted more regulations to have a volume that is 6 times the size of the Guttenberg Bible!

THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO LONGER ANY LEAD PRODUCING PLANT IN THIS COUNTRY. IF YOU CAN'T CONTROL GUNS; CONTROL THE AMMO!

CORES AROUND HERE ARE BRINGING $6 FOR FULL SIZE 9AUTO) BATTERIES, AND 43 FOR L&G. THE L&Gs are going for 437 NOW!