Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where? Clutch or Brake Lining Material

CarlH

Like nearly everyone, I have a pile (several piles actually) of worn out Sovereign PTO clutch plates. Since a new one from Simplicity is nearly a $100 now and I'm an OAP (Old Age Pensionersm01), this time I would like to reline a used one correctly. I have gone to one of my favorite sources, McMaster-Carr, but they don't have exactly the correct lining material. It needs to be 1/8" thick and flexible. Can anyone help me find a source?

TIA

I have been successful using a brake relining company to replace the PTO brake lining (used when PTO is disengaged) on the ring, but I have not been successful having them relining the cone clutch. The first time engaging the PTO the glue let loose.

Some time ago I found that Brake, Clutch and Drum Service, 4934 W. State Street, Milw, WI 53208, 414-476-2292, Scott Mohr did the cup relining for about $35- ea. plus postage. I went so far as fit one into the smallest Priority Mailing to see if that and was OK on that. Because of the conical shape of the cup surface Mr Mohr said he sliced four pieces of material and then used a donor cone to press and hold the lining material in place while the adhesive cured overnight. The problem is he has no cone and no on has come with one for him to keep.

Bob,

That was exactly what I was planning to do, cutting the lining in pieces to compensate for the tapered shape and using the clutch cone as a press. I will look for a cone for Scott.

Hello , Mcmaster carr sells brake -clutch lining by the foot. If we could create a cone shape pattern , it could be traced onto the clutch lining and cut out , curved and bonded to the cone clutch.

I have used their brake lining on my sovereign brake band.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Ken,

The McMaster-Carr flexible lining that I found was too thick. M-C has rigid sheet lining 1/8" thick but not flexible lining in that thickness. Our clutches need flexible lining 1/8" thick and 1/2" wide. I can figure out ways to get the 1/2" width but the 1/8" thick I have no way to do.