Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

4108 hard starting

dhoadley

With the charging issue behind me, I used this tractor to cut grass yesterday after the old Broadmoor's carb sprung a leak and started dripping gas like crazy. The 4108 doesn't want to start, hot or cold. Crank, crank, and crank some more. If I jump it from my car, it will start up pretty quickly.(after I've run the battery down) It runs pretty well once it goes; an occasional miss until its under load and then its good to go. It also doesn't really have an idle. About 3/4 of the way to "slow" it starts to miss and will die outright if the throttle goes all the way to the bottom. The battery is only 320CCA. Do I need something bigger? Thanx, Dave

dentwizz

Sounds like spark energy is low. You can test it with a light up tester to verify. A healthy system should spark well at around 250 rpm. When the battery on board cannot supply enough speed to crank it can either be the battery or the spark system being insufficient or both, though if the spark system is proper it shouldn't matter much about the battery.

dhoadley

If I remember, there's no points on this and I've replaced the coil/armature. I also went up 1 in the heat range because the plug looked dark, and still does.

dhoadley

Well, as the saying goes, "That was easy". Stole the Nova II off the rototiller (I had it still mount on the outside from initial setup). Took the sheet metal off the 4108, took one look at the coil and said to myself "that's a pretty big gap, what did I use, a piece of corrugated?". Grabbed a business card out of my wallet, loosened the screws, watched it cinch up at least a 1/16", and it started right up!dOd Put the sheet metal back on and used it for over an hour hauling dirt in the utility trailer. That's a wrap. "Thank you for your support." Dave