Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What decision would you make?

Jives

Hi all;

It has been years since I posted on this forum. . . I believe when I had my old Yeoman. Well, now I have a Deutz-Allis 1920 that needs some work. First, the issues, then the questions about what you would do.

The DA1920 has been my main mower for the past couple of years. (60" deck, 2.5 ac to mow). I got it a couple of years ago, beat to heck, leaking oil, tired, but I managed to keep it running. But, yesterday it seems like I lost a cylinder on the Kohler Magnum 20M.

The questions/options.

1. Fix the Magnum. Out of my league. This would need to be someone else. I probably looking at $800-$1400.

2. Repower with a Vanguard or Kohler Command or Predator. I could probably do this as long as in kit form. I have no fabrication skills. A Vanguard plus accessories would run about $1800-$2000.

3. Buy a similar used Sunstar/Deutz/Agco and use my current tractor as a parts machine. There is an appeal here, especially if I can get a rear lift. On the other hand, the risks of another used tractor. I'd need to get rid of at least one of my Wheel Horses that I use for tilling and snowplowing. Shed not big enough (I know, build a bigger shed!)

My choice would be repower if my tractor was in overall good condition, but it is not. It works well, but is beat to heck and I'm not sure of the long term investment. Hour meter says 970, but I've never trusted it. Front axles are splayed out, sheet metal is dented all over, needs 3 new tires. The good is the hydro works great, as does the power steering. PTO works fine, deck shell is solid, diff lock and two speed rear work. It has standard hydraulics and no rear PTO or rear hydraulic lift.

Thoughts? Opinions?

If it were me I would get another 1920. Fixing your current one sounds financially not worth it, too much going wrong. However you could sell the wheel horses and make more room for Allis, Simplicity and Duetz!!!

Keeping. Urgent as a parts machine and getting another one is where I would start.

Or you could sell it, I would be interested. ...

Besides going back to the Yeoman.....:D I would consider option 2, if I were intent on keeping the tractor. Cosmetics can be fixed, or left as they are. Mechanicals are important, and as long as you trust the rest of the drivetrain, you should be good to go.

Try and do a compression check. If you don't have a gauge they sell good ones at NAPA or the like. If it's reasonably good like at least 100-130 or so and the same.. within 10% of each cylinder then it most likely isn't too major. Might be a bad plug or a coil.

If the engine is toast how about craigslist for a good used motor? Might find something with a rotted deck for cheap...maybe!!

Good luck,

Harry

I may take some time this weekend to check a few things on the engine to see if it may be minor. As Harry said, it could be just a plug or similar.

After mowing with the Deutz I cannot go back to mowing with the W'Horses on a regular basis. Too slow. Too unmaneuverable. But, one of the horses has the tiller, the moldboard, and the snow blade. Hard to get rid of.

I've already been on the lookout for the past couple of months for another Sunstar/clone. They pop up every now and then within driving distance.It would be nice, though, that the Deutz could serve as a working parts machine. . . a backup. Actually, about 4 hrs from here is a Deutz with 150 hrs. Looks pristine, as is the price.

So, we've got a vote for a new machine, a vote for a new engine, and vote for a used engine. Not much of a consensus. Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks,

I've been thrilled with the reasonable prices I've seen on most Sunstars this past year. They are a bargain, IMO. I would thoroughly investigate your engine while watching like a hawk for a $900-1400 Sunstar. You have a 2 speed rear, which is great, and can be swapped into an 18hp tractor if you find a real nice one. My favorite Sunstar to date is the late model 18hp Briggs powered variety. Add your 2speed to one of those babies, and you have a fantastic rig.

I personally wouldn't spend the dough to repower a worn SS, given the deals that are out there for whole tractors.

I thought I'd update. . .

Compression is 100 psi in both cylinders, but left side (looking from seat) cylinder has no spark (standard spark test). Both spark plugs work.

I've done some online checking about my next step, but the coil seems hard to access. Any tips on my next step(s)?

Thanks in advance.

With the electronic ignition in the M20 engine, I think that the only way you can have spark on one cylinder and not the other is a broken or disconnected spark plug wire.

The coil is just under the fan shroud, but would require the engine to be removed to get to it. The 2 spark plug wires plug directly into the ignition module (coil).

You can check module secondary by an ohm test from lead to lead (spark plug wire to spark plug wire). It should test 22,000 to 42,000 ohms. If low or 0 replace module. If high or infinity it could be the module or spark plug wires.

Note: This is an electronic ignition, it does not need a battery to operate. Do not apply 12v to the kill lead (this is grounded to kill the engine) as it will fry the ignition module.

Yeah, I've just read some other things about the coil, and engine removal is the only way to get to it, even to replace a spark plug wire. I'll do a few more tests to confirm, but it looks like I may be doing my biggest tractor fix ever. Might as well replace the oil seals, clean her up, etc. Probably needs rings. . . .Not sure if I've got the time, but we'll see.

I've got the Kohler manual, but anyone have a more "child-friendly" instruction manual? What about a good video or photo sequence? Other advice?

Thanks, all.