Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

T-12 Sputtering

rfsmith1952

Homelite T-12 is sputtering at hi rpm. Just doesn't have the power it once had. I changed the points, condenser, and adjusted the carb, but no improvement. I added Sea Foam, Lead Sub, and a little stabiliser, and still no good. What should I try next?

Thanks

I don't know with one cylinder. With an automotive engine (old) you hooked a timing light to the coil, and blipped on a mark on the crankshaft or camshaft pulley, and adjusted the timing by moving the distributor till you saw the mark clearly under the timing light.

Maybe the wise ones will check in....

Or the points adjustment micro timing. Also check valve lash. I just rebuilt my 16hp and it had zero valve clearance and a cracked ring and still ran except the top end.

One spark plug checked and found okay. Did put a new one to try it and there was no difference. Put the old one back in. I am thinking now I will get another engine install it, then take my time with old one. It will let me learn a little more.

To check valve lash, take the carb off and the two-bolt plate that the breather hose/tube attaches to. There you will see the valve springs. At the bottom of the springs you will find a split between the valve tappets and the valve stem ends. Spin the shaft of the engine to find each valves fully closed position. At that point, insert a feeler gage of the intended range. A little large is better than too tight since too tight will hinder compression.