Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vanguard to Opposed Twin

bud119195

Anyone ever change a tractor from a vanguard to a opposed?I blew 2 head gaskets in a month on my 16 hp vanguard and was going to pull it out and throw in a good 18hp opposed. Only issue I see is vanguard has a regulator hanging on the shroud, Do I bolt that on to the shroud for the opposed twin .or wont the wiring for the vanguard run the oposed? If ths dont work I got a 14gp intex Motor als that I thought will work also.

Same cylinder both times?? Has to be a reason for the blown head gaskets. Over heating or a warped head from overheating the second time around. No mouse nests in the shroud?? I think the Vanguards are a pretty decent engine overall.

Ken

More then likely you have a dual circuit system, two wires, 12V 3 amp DC charge and 12V 55 W lights and no regulator is required for this. The should be a separate wire for the mag coil. Depending if you have lights, you could split the circuit, if not connect DC wire. 3 amp does a good job charging.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/~/media/Files/FAQs/BriggsAndStratton/PDFs/alternator_replacement.pdf

Got the opposed in and everything fit and hooked up wiring.Question I now have is does clutch have constant power to it when engaged? Seems like after I shut off clutch it takes a little bit of time before it turns on again So does that mean battery is low or clutch has a issue,It looks like clutch wants to engage just wont go.

Doh, thought you were doing another show tractor. Run some jumpers from the battery to a VOM and study the voltage with the with the mower engaged. If it holds 12 to 12.5 volts and slow to engage, you might have to adjust the clutch gap. There should be three slots with adjusting screw. The gap is typically .012" If the voltage drops, under the same conditions, you need more oompa in the charge department.

Looking at both my manuals for the 2 motors I see the both use the same alternator.and each motor has only one flywheel listed so are flywheels the same for the for all circuits? if so I can just put a alternator from a vanguard in the opposed and use the regulator that was on tractor with the vanguard and use all origional wiring and have no splices

When I took a dead Kawasaki 15 rope start off our hustler mower with electric clutch I replaced it with a 17 hp opposed. I found out real quick with an old ammeter in series that e-clutch takes 4-7 amps to run the clutch where the dual alternator only put out about 3 amp. I had to switch to 16 amp stator and 16 amp reg/rectifier with the small magnet flywheel gave me 10-11 amps. If I were you I would do the same.

There are different flywheels.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120997

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120997&SearchTerms=stators

You can go with Rick's changeover and if you don't have ammeter, use a voltmeter to see if your voltmeter to see if you maintain 12+ volts with the mower engaged.

Wiring should be minimal. Call me tonight after you get done with work.