Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 trans fluid/filter question

jverhaag

My 4041 has developed a loud whine when moving forward in 2 nd gear. I read some of the previous post on the subject but could use some more information. I read numerous post about filtration but didn't see much on fluid. What are you guys using for fluid in the tranny. What holds up the best, Who makes it and what recommendations do you have on this issue?

I really can't tell where it is coming from. It does sound as if it is coming from directly under the drivers seat but I'm not experienced enough to say weather it is the gearbox or the hydro pump. How often do you change the fluid in yours?

Hate to admit it but hardly everB) My hydro would whine quite loudly when I ran the lift cylinder to raise the deck. That was because it had a Fram filter on it. When I installed the Napa 1307, quiet as a church mouse.

more than likely noise is coming from rear. John (midnightpumpkin) may jump in here and correct me but that's my thoughts

I to don't change often, did when I bought 720 and put Baldwin filter on no problems. Now my 620 rebuilt had Wix filter and stopped working when oil got warm, went to Baldwin on it and no problems. I'm not real sure on oil but local dealer said run Dextron trans fluid. Just my $.02