Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 700 restoration--looking for emblems

jabelman

Hello all

New to your site but not new to tractor restoration. I've rebuilt a number of different brands over the years.

I was lucky enough to pick up an early simplicity. This is my first simplicity resto. I believe it's a 700. It has the original briggs 19 that dates mar/apr 1960. For the most part it's complete. It came with the very small 32" mower deck.

Currently I have been taking it all apart for a complete restoration. Had to track a few parts down which I found online.

Big thing that's missing is the emblems on the side. (Before everyone starts laughing and saying good luck) what are my chances of finding any either 700 or 725 aside from eBay is there any other sources out there?

I also have done mold castings before was also thinking about making a set out of plastic if I can track a set down?

That machine is borderline "Wonderboy 700" or "700". 725 would be much later machine...pics would help put definition to it. They pop up...your best odds are want ads here, other forums and your local craigslist. They are out there. 725s are extremely common if you wish to go that route.

Shorter steering post, square gas tank, straight stick shift handle, & no removable metal triangle on the left side of the grill/hood support to access the points is the configuration on my "Wonderboy 700".

I've been looking for just "one" of those emblems for years...

I'm not sure if the 700 was the same configuration. My 725 has a rounder gas tank, taller steering post, bent stick shift handle, removable cutaway for points access & a pan seat.

Both have the Briggs 19. But my fathers B-1 has the Briggs 19D with the exterior coil.

& Welcome to the club.

Yes mine has all the same items as your 700. What's the difference between the wonderboy 700 and a 700 besides the name? I am taking the engine apart and the flywheel was stamped 12-4-59

Also how do I post pics?

Welcome to the club!!:) I'm sure you'll find all the helpful information you need. The stamped number in the flywheel is just the date that the individual flywheel was made. I have a gas tank with the date stamped on it but it isn't as reliable as the engine numbers. As for the logo, they come up every now and then but other wise are hard to find.

quote:Originally posted by jabelman

Yes mine has all the same items as your 700. What's the difference between the wonderboy 700 and a 700 besides the name? I am taking the engine apart and the flywheel was stamped 12-4-59Also how do I post pics?

id="quote">
id="quote">You can post pics by using the little paperclip icon on the RH side of the "format" row in the reply window. The pictures have a 100 KB limit, and it helps to rename them without spaces and special characters. NOTE: you must be a dues paying member to use this method...Its worth it, I highly recommend paying the 10 dollars.You may also use the image tags to link from another source (such as photobucket) To do that, you click the Icon in the Format row that looks like a picture of a mountain. It will insert a couple of bracketed tags () You then copy the weblink for your picture and paste in into your reply between the two brackets.The external link method is slightly easier in my opinion because photobucket, flicker, etc automatically resize your pictures, and don't care about file names. You can just upload your pictures, and be done with it. The downside is that if the pictures get moved or deleted from that external site, they are also removed from this site. You'll see that problem a lot when searching through the archives.

I don't believe you can post pictures until you pay the $10 & become a dues paying member. Once you do that, there is a step by step process that is explained in the main forum area.

Aside from the emblems & the date code on the engine, I don't think there is a difference between the "Wonder Boy 700" & the "700".

In theory, my 725 should have a Briggs 19D as it is a 1963 version with the pan style orange/white seat. But it doesn't & it never did.

quote:Originally posted by ShaunE

Shorter steering post, square gas tank, straight stick shift handle, & no removable metal triangle on the left side of the grill/hood support to access the points is the configuration on my "Wonderboy 700".

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep, my 700 is the same way. Square tank, straight stick shift, and a solid grill frame. As for the emblems, I have no choice but to say good luck, they will pop up a few times on eBay, I guess just keep looking and some will pop up some day.8CI am having problems with my 42" bolt-together deck. I found a belt that was laying around that fit, but it really pulls down on the motor, even with it on the smaller pulley. The belt is stiff, but the deck and mule drive is not. It this normal for the 7HP engine? I know its smaller than the 16 in my 7016, but I would think it would have a little more power than that. I guess my problem is simple: just get a brand new belt that is sized to be on there. :IAnd WELCOME to the club! :Q

Thanks everyone. I got the engine inside now to fresh up. One stubborn flywheel finally got it off today. It's coming along I really like the way the paint is coming out. Using a/c orange. The wheels in antique white. Have to go shopping around to find material for the seat to recover.

That grill is in really good shape. Early 725 were identical except for a 19D motor vs a straight 19. Grandpa's 725 was an early one with 19D and a short steering wheel. I love looking at the early ones they just look right to me.

• 3 weeks later...

hello all

good news I was able to locate a pair of 725 emblems for the project.

here's my next question the engine was partially disassembled when I got it. sooooo....

I was wondering how this goes back together I know it goes on after the tins but I have 2 lock plates a pulley and a drive shaft plate. I have the 725 manual it looks a little different on my 700.

Locking plates next. Use both of them.

Staggered so the "outer slot ends" are at the edge of threaded holes so that when the pulley bolts are installed, it creates a means of locking the flywheel nut.

I did a poor job of explaining but hopefully the pictures will upload & you will be able to see.