Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike_H

Another Basket Case...

Mike_H

What can I say...I think I'm sick. I picked up a 5010 in pieces this weekend. Local kid bought this with the tiller to do his mom's garden. Got it running and he was driving it around the yard he said it got stuck in 3rd. He tore the transmission out of it, and split the case. Looks like he got 1 gear out, and then lost interest. When I showed up, the battery was dead, so it didn't even turn over. I did pull it by hand with the recoil starter, and it has compression. I picked it for 100 bucks with a complete small frame tiller. Looking for a repair manual if anyone has one. I need to get the tranny back together, and get this thing back on its wheels. As far as this things future...Its undecided. I bought it as parts. Then I thought...it might make a good zamboni...Kinda like this (click the picture to watch a video of this thing in action)

I create a rink on my folks pond every year, and shoveling the dang thing takes FOREVERHere is the "show"

inpieces2.jpg

Never mind the fishing poles...I was multi-tasking :D

inpieces1.jpg

I WISH he would have just left it alone...

tranny1.jpg

This doesn't look right...

tranny2.jpg

The Tiller pulley, a random (at this point) gear and the bolts

trannyparts.jpg

1998 12 HP L head Briggs. This is the real reason I bought this tractor. Something weird I noticed...The Model code is 28B702-1020-E1. After the E1, someone used an engraver, and etched an R into it...Does that mean it was rebuilt? Maybe a factory Reman?

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Finally, the ALL IMPORTANT tiller hitch.

tillerhitch.jpg

zamboni.jpg.96c27602d36c80c5e1cd0eb9df5ee70a.jpg

inpieces2.jpg.282ea505f229be7bcaa4d1d0e657ab52.jpg

inpieces1.jpg.5cc8b535f8fc17161772c7174385f50b.jpg

tranny1.jpg.cc57970772704c492c305a2266104831.jpg

tranny2.jpg.a246ec03636f509caba44bab3bd63860.jpg

trannyparts.jpg.5fd79d3de09458f03425bd0ca7c65c84.jpg

engine1.jpg.9061c17e6bae0a148c10f76cf816b179.jpg

engine2.jpg.84f03fa424fc3a88841422ac318769e9.jpg

tillerhitch.jpg.36e94da13240bace96416341bac712fb.jpg

SmilinSam

Id just wait for a cheap yeoman or Broadmoor with a 3 speed and swap trannys. I never did like the idea of opening up a tranny case myself.

Looks to be in good shape otherwise, though the pullys on the tiller and tranny don't appear to be the correct factory parts.

Mike_H
quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

fishYour a bigger man the me to take that project on!dOdI'd rather be fishing!! Lol

id="quote">
id="quote">The fishing is fun...but so is learning new stuff. I've never had the opportunity to get into a transmission before...at least, not like this. Its really not bad...I got it all torn down yesterday, and don't really see anything obviously wrong with it. All the gears look good, the bearings run smooth, etc. It was a little dirty, and one of the pawls has some wear on it. The biggest issue I can see is the input shaft is a little mucked up. Looks like the pulley keyway sheared, and it got brazed and re-cut. Still doesn't explain why it locked in gear.

Mike_H
quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

Id just wait for a cheap yeoman or Broadmoor with a 3 speed and swap trannys. I never did like the idea of opening up a tranny case myself.Looks to be in good shape otherwise, though the pullys on the tiller and tranny don't appear to be the correct factory parts.

id="quote">
id="quote">This WAS the cheap Broadmoor! I think I have a plan of attack...Being a manager of a toolroom has its perks! I have another thread going detailing the rebuild HERE

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• SmilinSam
    • Larrybell57
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Chris727
      Chris727
      (37 years old)
    2. jdwilson
      jdwilson
      (65 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
    • thedaddycat

thedaddycat  »  SmilinSam

It's in pretty sad shape, but yes I have a yellow plastic cap that I'm fairly certain is what you need. PM me your details and I'll get it out to you.
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts