Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm thinking about a Landlord

Smolenski7

Can anyone tell me how many hours I can expect to get out of a Landlord that I'm thinking about buying?

Specifically, I'm interested in buying one off of CL. It was built in 1997, has 420 hours on it, and was only used to cut grass on a pretty flat lot. It comes with a Vanguard 16HP engine. There doesn't seem to be much rust on the deck, but there is some. It's model 1692440?

The tranny is a Tuff Torq K215A. To be honest, that really doesn't mean much to me. Can anyone tell me about this particular transmission? What might its equivalent be today?

I would Google Tuff Torq and see what others are saying about that tranny. Check the overall condition of all the filters and fluids and maybe you can get an indication of how well the PO took care of the machine. Is there or does there appear to have been a hitch installed on the tractor that may give you an indication that something may have been towed with the tractor?

Other then that and listening to the tranny while running to see if it's whining ect...it's a crap shoot when buying used equipment.

Best of luck#id="size1">

Never really heard of problems with the Landlord transmissions, Tuff torq, or hydrogear.

I have a 96 Landlord here that has around 800 hours on engine and tranny. Has a hydrogear in it and the hose at bottom leaks a little and needs replaced is all that's wrong with it. The engine is a 16hp vanguard and only things wrong with it are the oil seal needs replaced and the fuel shut off solenoid went bad.

Got a 03 conquest here that has a tuff torq and a 20hp vanguard. Owned since new. yearly oil and air filter changes. Has around 1200 hours on it and its only ailments have been a bad regulator at around 900 hours, new deck bearings at around 800 hours, and its using just a litte oil now but doesn't smoke.

So, in your opinions, would this Landlord outlast my current 2009 22/44 Regent?

My Regent has about 100 less hours and is 12 years newer. It has a 22HP Briggs & Stratton Twin Intek and a TTK46 Tranny. It has given me some steering and deck problems over the last 2 years, but ironically I think the Landlord I'm considering has the same deck 44" deck and the same steering gear and rod that my Regent needed to have replaced. At the moment, my Regent is in great shape.