Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quiet Muffler

Bruker

There are two types of noises to consider, exhaust and mechanical. You can try different mufflers/silencers to get exhaust sound down . Here is a You Tube as an example. Notice the chambers, baffles and perforated tubing.

Even on the smaller engines that same principle is used so you get just a whoosh of air coming out the muffler outlet.

There really isn't a easy method to build a muffler. You might be better off finding an off the shelf unit to take of your needs. Some people built their own and were satisfied, but that doesn't mean theirs would take care of your needs.

Then there is mechanical noise and that you have to surround it with an enclosure.

Agreed. I have made/used quiet mufflers but the valve train and intake noises are rather loud on L-head(and some ohv) engines. A lot of people forget the intake makes a loud hiss noise, sometimes as loud as exhaust.

I tried the double can muffler on mine by denting the one can and welding all the way around. It was simple and it was quiet---er, but still comparable to a nelson. The side effect is it tended to afterfire on shutdown. Car mufflers are sometimes the better option for a generator. A geo-metro sized unit can be had around $40 and works pretty well. My dad has one on his LL and his generator. I like the sound of the LL with it, but it becomes cumbersome to mount when snowblower season comes around.

Well I built and installed one almost identical to the one shown in the thread I attached in my first post. Now I know what you guys mean by valve train and intake noise but that's much more pleasant to the ears than the exhaust sound that this thing used to put out. I didn't put anything between the two pepper pots but I wouldn't be much trouble to put some stainless wool in there which I just might do.

This modification deserves three thumbs up!