Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 differential output shaft

rpickle

Hi,

I am pretty sure there have been a few of you that have had to replace this. Any tips? Can I do it with the transmission still on the tractor? Should I replace both sides? I am getting a used set. Appreciate any help.

Rick

Pretty easy to work on these tractors. You didn't mention your reason for changing but if it makes you sleep better I'ld replace both while your there. Just my $.02

Rick,

You have to pull the drop box. Highly recommend you replace the oil seal while you are at it. The shaft will just pull out of the differntial and the new one will slide in.

Sounds like my hunch was right.

Sending this from Munising, Mi, headed to Copper Harbor tomorrow.

John U

I agree with john replace the seals while it's half way there,it's not hard just takes time, John you going to stop by on your way home and pick up a tractor, I'm almost to that point, my wife says sell it but I'm not sure if I'm ready to throw in the towel yet

Come on now you just told be you wouldn't give in. John you want to watch out you may decide you like it here. A week later and you could have attended BS meeting. Hope ya enjoy the trip