Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do you guys think?

ardisam

I finally got the Kohler M20 into the Agco Allis 1918. Keep in mind, I had rebuild this motor. The problem I am having is cylinder #2(left side as you sit on the tractor), I have spark but no compression. I have compression on the other cylinder. I have checked the valves, put on new std rings, the head gasket is in good condition. So, what is the problem? When I have the spark plug out and turning the motor over, it seems to suck air in and not out. Any help would be great!

Stuck valve? But even with that you should get about the same air movement through the spark plug in both strokes. Maybe the cam is out of time?

I would take the head off and check valve movement and does it match with piston timing.

Mike, I'm pretty sure that the timing is right. These are so easy to time. Both valves are not stuck, I ground the valve seat to make sure they were seating. I can double check the timing between the piston and the valves tomorrow.

You had mentioned to me replaceing a few tappets. Perhaps not a stuck valve but one not closing completely? You should be able to pull the valve cover (I think on that side it is the non-breather assembly cover?) and watch to make sure you have your clearance. They may have looked seated but once the cam was in they might not be closing all the way.

Saying you "rebuilt" this engine, you must have had some serious pilot error(s) in your parts inspection/re-assembly of the motor. Truly having zero compression on a cylinder means you have a serious valve flaw somewhere and should be very obvious to spot.

Tom (PK)

Tom, You know that was pretty mean to say that! I bought this motor from a older guy that had the machining done to it. Crank 0.10 under and cylinder's std. The reason why it was apart because he couldn't find anyone to rebuild it for him. I inspected and cleaned all the parts before they were USED. This isn't my first rodeo, I have rebuilt many of the opposing twin and single cylinder motors. In the future, if you don't have anything nice to say about someone! Keep it to yourself, I do!

Just thinking about this one..how about going back to basics. Pull the exhaust and leave the plug out. Now with the valve cover off so you can watch the valves, Rotate the motor and run through the 4 strokes and see if you can see something that will point in the right direction. If there is air coming out in say the power stroke is it going out the exhaust? Or on the intake is it sucking in the exhaust?

I've been down this road before....it's no fun!

Harry

quote:Originally posted by ardisam

Tom, You know that was pretty mean to say that! I bought this motor from a older guy that had the machining done to it. Crank 0.10 under and cylinder's std. The reason why it was apart because he couldn't find anyone to rebuild it for him. I inspected and cleaned all the parts before they were USED. This isn't my first rodeo, I have rebuilt many of the opposing twin and single cylinder motors. In the future, if you don't have anything nice to say about someone! Keep it to yourself, I do!

id="quote">
id="quote">"You can say what you mean without saying it mean." -(I don't know who, but someone)