Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

converting garden tractor to 4 wheel drive

landlord2110

Was starting to collect parts to do a conversion, then the one motor blew up, so it is on hold right now as we rebuilt that tractor. If you use a 3 or 6 speed tyranny as a base tractor replace the brake with a pulley, have another bevel gear box under the first. ie connect with belts and you can shift on the go. Now you just need a front axle and a shaft ... ie axle to 2nd bevel gear box. Now the hard part is making the wheels turn at the correct ratios and in the right direction. You will also need to have a different brake location, and it will not be a mower any more but it would be great to take to a plow day. :)

...Someone mounted another gearbox and wheels to the rear of his

Landlord for 4 wheel drive....I put 3 tractors (no front wheels)

together for 6 wheel drive.....

I helped a friend put FWA on a Deere project. He used a hydraulic driven front axle also from a Deere (I think it was a Tuff Torque brand, same brand as used on Legacy). We sized a a gear pump to drive on front of engine, dedicated just to for front axle. I believe he used a 400 series chassis, rear-end. The larger chassis helped, with more room to mount stuff. I can tell you from experience, it is tough to pack all of the extra drive int a standard size chassis. I seen a Cub cadet a few years back, I believe he narrowed up a Mopar axle for his. I have toyed with the idea of driving a mechanical fwa off of the brake shaft too.