Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Regent 46" Blade Removal

PaulWB

Hello All,

I just found the group and liked the information I've found. My tractor was purchased new last fall to replace a low dollar Troy Bilt that gave up after 13 years. In the first 12 hours it was less than impressive. The deck drive belt shredded & I was given a new one. It was very hard starting and when fueling, it would back vent. So I took to the dealer who replaced the carb and tank. Problems solved.

My current question is the removal of the blades. After 35 hours I decided to remove them to sharpen. I could not get them off, even with a block holding the blade and 16" breaker. The shaft was turning inside of the blade. Long story short, I took it to the dealer who used an impact wrench to remove the blades. I have an impact wrench but think this is extreme. Since these blades are not keyed it looks like they will tighten as I mow. I've used and owned many different brands of mowers over the last 55 years but have never had to use anything, other than a wrench to remove blades. Am I missing something?

After researching tractors, I bought this to treat myself but now have a sinking feeling about the quality of Simplicity and their owner, B&S. I will say, it is a pleasure to mow with.

Thanks,

I used to use a block and a wrench, slipped off after sharpening them and a few stitches later bought an impact and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Especially with cordless impacts now

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I have never used anything but an impact to remove them.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ditto...pops off any blade Ive ever come across, and most of those were on rusty, crusty 45 year old decks. Somethin doesnt smell right...

I have Ingersoll impact set to lowest setting to retighten use it every day on my Exmarks and still able to remove with rachet and socket in the field. Don't see why it would be any different on a Simplicity

I've only used a socket with breaker bar with a piece of wood stopping the blade from turning. Maybe my adapters/blades are rustier and provide more friction in the clamping area to prevent spinning. Or they were never but on with an impact gun.

I have only ever used a gloved hand & a combination wrench & I'm a little guy.

No block, no breaker bar, no torque wrench, no impact.

Never had one loosen on either style spindle.

Lucky I guess.

Impact? For real? No disrespect, I'm truly surprised.

I too use an impact to remove. On some models I use a torque wrench to reinstall. I believe it's 70 or 80 fl-lb on most decks. You sure don't want the blade to come off and the bolts will not tighten from use, especially if the bolt is right hand thread as most are.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

I too use an impact to remove. On some models I use a torque wrench to reinstall. I believe it's 70 or 80 fl-lb on most decks. You sure don't want the blade to come off and the bolts will not tighten from use, especially if the bolt is right hand thread as most are.

id="quote">
id="quote">Hi Chris, I used a torque wrench to reinstall, between 50 & 60 on this unit. These are set up to tighten when running & since they are not keyed, I imagine that they will tighten. I'll give it a shot with a breaker bar in a few weeks to see if they have tightened. I ordered a set of Gator blades to take care of the leaves. If these do require an impact wrench, they aren't made for the average homeowner. I'm hoping that some idiot at the factory over tightened them and that they come off. I've never had a blade come loose.

The torque setting on my Husqvarna 48" deck is 50 or 60 ft lbs. The Blade Buster shown above holds each blade securely when removing or installing the blades. Works greatly.

Originally posted by wwbragg

y'all should checkout this handy giz-mo

This is slick. I've used a "C" clamp with blocks of wood to keep from damaging the paint when removing the center blade on my neighbors Yard Man. This has to be easier.Thanks for the tip.

My Gator blades arrived yesterday and I installed them. I was able to remove the blades without an impact wrench, but then I've only mowed 3 times since sharpening. I'm beginning to think that the factory used an impact wrench with high torque to install. I installed the Gators between 50 & 60 ft. lbs. of torque and we will see how they are after the fall leaf mulch season.