Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jimdk, his collection, his passion, his desires

rokon2813

Now that I have most of Jim's collection home, I thought I would share some more of his story.

Here is part of one of the messages he sent me.

My sons will take care of the scrap, but the larger pieces have some value to a member wishing to get started on a resto. It may take a couple or 3 units to make a complete tractor. If you care to bring your truck and trailer and get a load of tractors and implements, the boys can load you with my FEL. I prefer to have these parts going to members. Preferably to the new members just starting out. That is not critical, but would be nice.id="red">

I have engines and trans-axles for most parts tractors. No guarantee on these, of course. Some starter generators and carbs may have to be scrounged.id="blue">

With it all here, I can go through and try to find every part needed to rebuild his tractors from the ground up. He kept many things together and most are pretty near complete.

Even the complete ones have not been run for the better part of a year and more, so everything will need some sort of love.

I will do classifieds as I can, but wanted you all to get some insight into Jim's love for this hobby.

More from Jim

I would like some of the better A/C and Simplicity pieces to be used to restore the old tractors. I love to see them up and running. I like them in original "work clothes", also. I have some of those that get used frequently.id="blue">

I do have a A/C HB-112 , in parts. This is the first A/C hydrostat that they built, so is a bit rare. The BGB is torn apart so I was hoping that the Vickers is still ok.

I can take some pictures and e-mail them to you. The problem with that is barn dirt which they are liberally covered. id="blue">

So, the next move on my part will be to get some pictures to you. This may depend on weather and my health, but it will get done.

My condition is not good for traveling by foot. Both legs are swollen and make it hard to walk or stand. My boys won't let that stop them. We'll park my weary butt some place. That is, if I'm still around.

id="green">

Unfortunately, Jim passed before he sent pictures, but this gives a little insight into his determination.

In the end, he made a note book for his sons. He sent them to the barn for pictures, and explained each and every one to them in his notes. Which ones that were to be sold to me, what he thought the value of each was, which to keep for his wife, and what each son and grandson was given.

The fact that he took the time and energy to write down his wishes is a reflection of his genuine passion for these machines. Poor health can really undermine doing even the smallest chore.

Good job Dan, for all that you are doing to see his wishes through.

quote:Originally posted by Tacey

The fact that he took the time and energy to write down his wishes is a reflection of his genuine passion for these machines. Poor health can really undermine doing even the smallest chore. Good job Dan, for all that you are doing to see his wishes through.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm not sure I could say it any better...or add anything but applause for both men & their efforts. Jim knew what the club really was...