Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thirdjoker

old subject- Voltage regulator

thirdjoker

I'm trying to locate a voltage regulator that will replace the original one on my landlord 101. The original part # is 122193. NLA. Looked at Delco P# 1118988= NLA. It looks like Briggs 295924 will work, but it has a different mount pattern. What are you using as a replacement. Thanks..

Bill725

The last one I purchased a long time ago, I never used, still in box. Ace Electric Company VR-13914. It came with instructions on how to polarize generator to match battery.

Mike_H

I bought a new one with the two screw mounting pattern...I made a Triangular plate with standoffs (1/8 pipe worked great) to mount to the dash tower, and then mounted the regulator to that. This was on an RBT though, so not sure if you have enough clearance to the steering wheel in a FDT...

Chris727

It seems like the replacement 2 coil regulators don't hold up well. The 2 coil style have scews directly through the cover and they don't seal well, resulting in moisture damage. I have a box of them here that have suffered that fate.

Chris727
quote:Originally posted by thirdjoker

So how can the moisture damage be prevented. It seems that we only have 2 options, Pay $ 75 or take a chance.

id="quote">
id="quote">Someone is making those $75 regulators. There is probably a cheaper source. I used to get them from DB Electric in Gray, TN. I was told they are NLA through them. Deere uses similar regulators on some of the ag tractor applications but they are rated at different voltages that may not be compatible with lawn and garden equipment. If you go with a 2 coil just be careful when washing the engine to avoid getting too much water on the regulator or pull the cover off and make sure its dry afterward. Don't leave it out in the rain without a hood either.

MDB
quote:Originally posted by ShaunE

WOW!They ain't givin them away!They must be good to be that proud of them.

id="quote">
id="quote">I know what you mean Shaun, but on the other hand I have found in the long run you generally get what you pay for. It is up to each of us what we want to invest in a project of this nature.

colincox1

we used to have those regulators on cars, and they suffered same moisture damage, used to put a cut off bottom of milk/oil container or similar. Not pretty but effective. or could fabricate something nice out of wood .

MrSteele

I read an article in the archives here about cleaning the contacts in the regulator. Tried to no avail. I am also in the market for a regulator. Thanks for the link!

I have been charging the battery now and then for about a year. That price is a bit....., but will save aggravation, and will likely be worth it