Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tell Me about the Prestige Platform

Mike_H

Was browsing around Ebay this morning, and a Prestige caught my eye. Kinda made me start thinking about an upgrade, as I'm getting frustrated endlessly searching for whatever trinket or do-dad I need to continue my projects. I could sell my big tractors (two 7016's) and probably come up with about Half the cost of a used Prestige. Looks like a capable platform based on the little bit of searching I did.

When did Briggs buy Simplicity?

I really like my Prestige

But you have to remember

It is not constructed like your 7016

No bfg to worry about

Power steering

Electric clutch

Vertical shaft motor instead of horizontal

No cast iron rear end

Easy to get on

Rear lift is different

Briggs bought Simplicity about 2002. Then in 2006 everything moved to Georgia to a Snapper (Simplicity owned) plant. Then last year Briggs put an add in the local paper for 370 employees like right now as they closed the Georgia plant and moved the whole operation back to the hdqtrs plant in the Milwaukee area.. Sometime in early 2015 they started producing product. The plant is roughly two mile from where I live.

Mike, you are welcome to come take a look at mine. It's a 20hp/50" version, which I understand to be the base model Prestige. But it still has what attracted me to them...foot hydro, hydraulic lift and power steering. My biggest impression came from Ray, who raves about his.

I had always sworn life couldn't get better than a Sovereign (power steering makes one of those a dream), but when I got my first Legacy with foot hydro, I knew the clock was ticking on my mowing with a Sovereign. My Legacy's were just too darn big for my lawn...you've seen it, it's no sprawling estate. I like the 50" deck. It gives the excellent cut I'm accustomed to, but isn't as heavy as a 48", and less than half that of my 60". Those heavier decks were wrecking the high, uneven and soft spots of my lawn. The 50" rolls right over. The Prestige also seems to maintain traction better than the Sovereign on slopes, and has the foot controlled differential lock just in case you need a boost.

My preference is also the turbo vac for grass and leaf pickup, and they are much easier to find for the 50" and 54" decks that come with Prestige tractors.

I watched casually on our local craigslist, and found one with a recent repower, tiller and rear lift kit. I sold the lift & tiller, bought up what was needed for my bagger/turbo and am into the outfit for about $700. Deals are out there.

I still enjoy the old iron best, but when it comes to quick, comfortable mowing, you just can't beat a Prestige (or Legacy if you have the room).

I might take you up on that Josh. I have less yard than you...which is kinda why I bought the Broadmoor. I'm just getting frustrated with grass clippings going EVERYWHERE (my wife has a lot of planter area) and I can't find mulching blades for a LH discharge deck (which all three of mine are). The broadmoor doesn't have a practical way to collect clippings...but I am going to try a NOS leaf mulch kit. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of power though.

The desire to upgrade is made worse by the fact that I took a spin on my Folk's JD 345 this afternoon. It has all the "niceties" on it (foot control, hydrolift, P/S, etc) and they just drive so sweet. Ergonomics are that much better too. Doesn't have the cut like the Simplicities do though. We'll see...I'm getting rid of one of my 7016's for sure.

The other is kind of a resto-mod, Getting hydrolift, and a modern'ish paint job. I'll probably get it finished, and play with it. See how I like it, and make a decision after this winter. I'm going to finish the hydrolift, and use it before I blow it all apart and paint it.

Do not hesitate to buy a used Conquest or Prestige. I play with the old iron and rely on my '02 Conquest 16-44 w/power bagger for weekly mowing. Bought it new and have 550 +/- hrs. Plenty of threads here on maintenance & reviews. gw

• 2 weeks later...

Briggs took over Simplicity in 2004. In 2002, Simplicity bought Snapper.

The Prestige is the Cadillac of GT in my opinion. Even w/o PS. ;)

I got mine of CL. They said it didn't run and had sat for the past 4 years. 160 hours. It also came with wheel weights, chains, sub frame, and 42" plow/dozer blade. It was about 1.5 hours away and the guy wanted $800. So I went and looked at it and got it DELIVERED for $800. Sold the tire chains and tires and re-shoed her. After all said and done, I have about $1200 total into Mable. Pics are all over on MTF.

Highly recommend the Prestige.

I have no experience with any of the newer Simplicity machines so I cannot offer any insight. However if They started reproducing the Sovereign with a foot control hydro (it can be done), Power steering standard, 20 horse Vanguard & streamlined the hood to match the other models, I would buy a new one.

Tim from B&B Lawn Equipment in Geneseo IL, had this very discussion with one of the higher ups @ Simplicity a couple years ago following a very angry email he sent to them regarding the discontinuing of these machines & many replacement parts.

I dear friend of mine who passed away several years ago from Marshall WI was the go to guy in south central WI for all unknown simplicity answers & I'm sure many on here know who he is. He re-powered every Sovereign type tractor he could with a 16-18 horse Vanguard.

Well I can only speak for the old machines. Main reason I like them so much is the fact that they are simple. No wiring nightmares and everything is pretty much right there. Another thing I like is all the attachments for the older machines interchange as where your new one wont fit all the old attachments. A 7016h with a hydro lift is a really nice machine and should serve you well.

Paul, I thought you had a tractor for each attachment, so you would never have to interchange ;) That's the truly BEST way to get work done. :o)

Though the Prestige offers attachments like blowers, tillers, etc, I do prefer my old iron for those tasks. Mowing is my least favorite tractor chore, and so I like to do so quickly and comfortably, with minimal spillage from my beverage of choice.

Simplicity does still use the same tiller & blower head that was used for decades, and a hitch kit adapts them between tractors.