Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home Made 2010 Wiring Harness?

laytonlight

I am working on doing a working restore on the 2010 (16 horse re-power) and was considering making up the wiring harness with all new wire. Was just wondering if anyone has done this in the past. Anyone know the wire gauge for the different components, to/from ammeter, starter switch, key switch, etc? I'll probably just use an automotive replacement for the battery power and ground (A & H). Also, any known replacement for the cloth protector on some of the wiring? Not looking to make it look stock, just added protection for the wiring. I've included a lettered wiring diagram for convenience of naming the wire and gauge if anyone wants to pitch in. ;) As always, thanks.

Wiring Harness-1.jpg

57e05a9c632bb_WiringHarness-1.jpg.9e859836ab056200e226a44dd957126e.jpg

I made a wire harness for my 7016. The max current output of the starter/gen is 10 amps. I used 12 gage wire for most of it. Looking at your diagram, that starter switch might see quite a bit of current, make sure you get a big enough one...Not sure what the starters can pull, but I'm pretty sure that the wires between both the solenoid and starter and solenoid and battery are 8 gage...

I don't know that much about the early machines (don't have one yet) but if they don't incorporate a solenoid, I would add one. You can still use the pushbutton, its just a lot safer to keep the high current connections away from anything you might be touching. If you want, I could sketch it up for you.

Layton,

Check out these guys for the original black cloth wire loom stuff>

http://www.riwire.com

Their website is pretty crude. Scroll down the left side, click "Supplies" then scroll down to "Metal and Non-Metal Conduit Tubes". Midway down this list is "Wire Loom (Non-Metallic Autoloom Black)" in bunches of diameters.

Tom (PK)

Thanks all, for the responses. I'll probably wire in a solenoid as Mike suggested. Tom, thanks for that resource. I'll be bookmarking that one & I'll be ordering some stuff from them! I like neat wiring so this part will be fun.

I'd go with 8 gauge on starter wires from battery , thru button and back to motor and also include the ground wire. Also 14-16 ga wire is a little easier to work with and your electrical draws won't cause a problem.

I'd go with 8 gauge on starter wires from battery , thru button and back to motor and also include the ground wire. Also 14-16 ga wire is a little easier to work with and your electrical draws won't cause a problem.