Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Starter/Generator Belt Confusion

laytonlight

I'm looking to buy a generator belt for my B&S 16 Horse (320421-0134-01-7007291). The Briggs Number is 68878. Any search on that number only brings up Briggs manufactured ones costing $33.50 (Jack's Small Engines) and doesn't give any specs on the belt. I've searched the Simplicity number for it (122146) and come up with different belts around $14.00. (EX: Stens Aramid 38" x 3/8" x 7/32" 3L). I'm not finding any equivalent from the major belt manufacturers (Gates, Dayco, etc.) Anyone replace this belt with something they are happy with that they can provide a link to? I just don't want to get down the road and have to replace a cheap one after the drive shaft is installed. I've had good luck with the NAPA FHP belts, I may just go with the correct size and profile in one of them unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks.

Layton,

Simplicity used there own "home grown" starter generator mounting bracket for the C.I. Briggs engines. Was this 16HP engine w/S.G. bracket originally from a Simplicity/Allis tractor? The B&S parts reference to "their" OEM belt is probably a different length. For the Simplicity/Allis 12HP-16HP SG belt, I show it as PN 157524-->2157524SM and is about $11.50 from Jack's. It looks to be 39"L x 3/8". The 12246 looks to be 38" x 3/8". Sorry, I don't know what the B&S PN 68878 length is.

Tom (PK)

There are two types of S/G brackets, one Simplicity, the other A/C which I have on my B-110 and Homelite T-12 (itis probably used on the A/C 310 and 410 tractors also):Simplicity Bracket:

Simpliciy_Bracketa.jpg

Homelite (A/C) Bracket:

Homelite_Bracketa.jpg

The Homelite bracket calls for a 37" belt vs 39" for the Simplicity bracket. The Homelite bracket positions the S/G a little lower and tighter to the Briggs engine. I've found each type of bracket on both tractor brands due to engine swaps over the years.The belt part number I have for the A/C Homelite bracket is 1607323, listed as a 37 1/2" belt, but a 37" belt works OK. Some have had issues when using the larger belt with an A/C Homelite bracket, the S/G swings out too far and the field terminal hits the hood.

Simpliciy_Bracketa.jpg.fd43d31bbb82e73da10c386c74d604a1.jpg

Homelite_Bracketa.jpg.a3b3427c3b08343076da7ca719387425.jpg

I think I have three different types of "Large Frame" Simplicity S/G brackets laying around here. The early 10hp FDT's had a different pulley on the engine (3 piece steel) compared the the aluminum pulley's made by B&S. Some of these may have had differences in diameter resulting in different belt sizes.

The 39" belt is easy to put on. The 38" belt is more difficult to put on but when it is on, it tucks the S/G up tight against the engine, and does not stick out beyond the hood...gives a nice clean look to the tractor.

As always, thanks for the help. I'll take a look at the pulley and take it from there. At least I know I don't have to buy the expensive B&S one. For anyone thinking of joining, this group has saved me 10 times what I pay in dues! :D