Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7100/920D axle shaft

TimJr

Does anyone know for sure the difference between an Allis 920D axle shaft and an axle out of a 7100 series? I thought I have seen that the 920 used a wider axle.

Can I put a 7100 axle into a 920 axle tube? The part numbers are different, but I don't know why. A 920 axle is obsolete, and I have a friend that needs one to get his tractor rolling again. It ate the diff sun gear keys and damaged the shaft.

Any ideas????

There is also a specific (longer) tube for the diesels. They do not mix and match with non-diesel axles/tubes.:(

However, a non-diesel axle/tube set can be installed in a diesel tranny.

You may be able repair the damaged axle by welding and re-machining.

On the Diesels (920D/7790) everything in the transaxle is the same as the 900/7100 except they used a longer axle tube and solid axle, as Carl stated. The differential and right side hub is the same as the 900/7100 tractors.

If you can find a hydro donor tractor just switch the whole back end.

I wonder why the diesels got a longer axle tube and axle? I have talked to a machine shop and they figure they can weld the axle and recut a keyway. Hope so!

Tim they did not get different sized tires but I had a dealer tell me that Sim/Allis was going to offer a 26" tire option to compete with the JDs, but did not happen. They also advertised a 26" tire option on the Sunstars but I have never seen one with original 26" tires.

That makes sense. They should have offered them. I have seen later Sunstars with the 26's that I know were original.

Thing is, it wouldn't have required a different axle and tube, just a wheel with the proper backspacing. Tim