Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shuttle to Hydro?

dhoadley

I spotted this on CL:

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/5250308140.html

I have an A/C 414 shuttle. I know from this site that some guys can do almost anything given enough time and talent, but is it reasonable to change a Shuttle to a Hydro? I'm thinking not but thought I'd check with you guys first before dismissing it entirely. Thanx, Dave

Pretty easy swap if you have both the same family of Simplicity/AC machines and all the parts. Also works best if the frame you use already has the sleeved hole in the side for the hydro lever and the tower already has the hole for the safety switch. If so, it Just takes time and wrenching.

If not and you are installing hydro in an older 3300 or 3400 series you have to cut the sleeve out of the newer frame, drill hole in old frame in same spot and weld in the sleeve. Then drill hole in tower for safety switch.

The hydro lever assembly is not pictured though. Could cost you around $50 to buy it elsewhere used.

Done it both ways myself several times. Kinda a fun operation either waydOd

Proposing to swap a hydro into a 400 AC series is going to be quite a challenge though. Done that operation on a 300 AC series once with a Vickers and once with a Sundstrand. Vickers swap requires all the parts from the donor hydro tractor including the rear upright frame pieces that bolt to the tranny.

Sundstrand swap requires same uprights and/or some creative building on your part. Also a Sundstrand swap will require a lot of creative building and fitting to put the hydro lever in. Not near as fun a project...

Another option to welding bosses into the frame for pivot lever is the bolt on style clutch boss from FTD tractors. I put a hydrolift lever in my 7016 that way...

I put a Vickers hydro transmission from a 3314H onto a 3415S Shuttle. Everything for the transmission bolting (I split the tractors from the BGB) and the travel speed lever went together nice. But the brake pedals were different between tractors so the brake rod didn't fit the best.

Main thing is as long as the two tractors have the same lever sleeve location it should work.

The 3415H drives very nice! Much better than the Shuttle. ^

Not that it matters for utility purposes, but the 414S is thought to be one of the scarcest Allis models ever built.

Personally, I like a Shuttle, as long as someone hasn't gone off the reservation with mods and incorrect adjustments. They work great for a loader tractor. You can clutch or use the hand control for speed changes.

Josh, well.... I should have worded it differently. The shuttle from my 3415 needed a lot of work. I like shuttle transmissions too, but with mine, the reverse gearbox on the input shaft was worn out bad. That is why I said the hydro was better than the shuttle.

I have a Homelite T-13 Shuttle and love it! But the axle tube broke when hauling a 48" deck in a wagon up a hill.8C Let's say I haven't had much luck with Shuttles.wah

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Not that it matters for utility purposes, but the 414S is thought to be one of the scarcest Allis models ever built.Personally, I like a Shuttle, as long as someone hasn't gone off the reservation with mods and incorrect adjustments. They work great for a loader tractor. You can clutch or use the hand control for speed changes.

id="quote">
id="quote">Josh, thanks for your input. Your's are one of the more respected opinions (for me) on this sight, especially when it comes to collectability. I guess if I want a hydro I can always go get another tractor! (then I'll need another attachment, then I'll need to get...) Thanx, Dave