Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How best to replace a Welch plate?

JohnFornaro

I bought some carbs on ebay or amazon for my 16hp Briggs engines. $50 each!

Turns out that they were NOT the 391065, which I need for the 326437-0649 engine, and I think also for the 326431-2582 engine. The only apparent difference is the shaft choke, which I think should be the 690617. Replacing the shaft choke requires removing the Welch plate, to access the innards.

Are there any favorite techniques out there in tractor land for removing a Welch plate?

As an aside, I'm astonished at the variations on the theme of 16hp Briggs carbs.

Put the choke wire to the inside B 4 putting on the carb. Not a big deal.. If you have set the plug, I use a golf ball and give it a single rap with a hammer. just enough to leave an impression.

thanks! But I'm not quite sure what you mean "put the choke wire to the inside? I'll see if I can post a pic in a few minutes...

I've shown the carb and the new, required choke shaft in vise grips.To replace, I need to remove the Welch plug. What's a good way to remove the Welch plug?

Carb.jpg

Carb.jpg.f1a676e17f157cf458db03efe168151c.jpg

To remove the plug I think I'd drill a hole in it and then you'd have a place to pry on it to pop it out. You need a new plug anyway after removing the old one.

Hey PhanDad! Thanks. I thought about that, but I don't want to put too much pressure while drilling so as to bend something. Maybe I'll try that.

There is absolutely no info on the web on how to remove welch plates. Plenty on how to install them, tho. weird.

I found this:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/faqs/overhauling-the-carburetor

As to drilling the hole, just back up the lever with a piece of wood the correct thickness so the wood is lightly wedged between the lever and carb body.

And I guess it's hard to find info on how to remove a welch plug since they always fall out all by themselves.

And "Karnack" says: alternate stone guard, part #1677261 :D:D

Well, whatever other problems I might have, falling welch plugs is not one of them. So I guess I'm counting my blessings?

Try googling welch plug or freeze plug removal and you will find some material. Drilling a hole in the plug you want to remove is the easiest. I thread a drywall or sheet metal screw into the hole to give something to pull on. Works well if you have something like a flat Stanley nail remover pry bar. Hook the head of the drywall screw in the nail puller slot and lever off a piece of wood and some solid part of the carb.

Just hook your choke up the the current choke butterfly. No need to remove or tamper with anything. Hook up the cable to the lever and put it in the top notch and screw down and you good to go.

Hoke dokee: I drilled a 7/64" hole in the existing carb choke shaft thingy, and installed it on the 7116. The carb wouldn't fit into a vise, and I ended up just holding it gently and firmly on the workbench and drilling the hole.Ended up taking off the choke cable, because the choke shaft design turns out to be strictly manual.Her's the close up of the carb and then the 7116:

7116-Carb-lo-rez-10-24-15.JPG

7116-lo-res-10-24-15.JPG

7116-Carb-lo-rez-10-24-15.JPG.e4c000bca7250fcd5c4cef21e1429ff5.JPG

7116-lo-res-10-24-15.JPG.bb28e78eee40d44ac708399489f762fc.JPG