Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

adding power steering to sovereign

goodtimo

A while back, didn't someone add power steering off a Sunstar or Ultima onto one of the 7000 series sovereigns? I did a search and can't find the thread for it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

From what I know, your 7000 must have a transmission or pump from a 7100 series with hydraulic lift. From there I would think it would work but hydraulic lift might be necessary. I believe the SunStar power steering and 7100 power steering are the same, but different lengths of hoses, etc. Maybe different mounting plate(s)?

I couldn't find any threads on this topic, sorry!

The Sunstar and Sovereign share the steering wheel assembly, valve collar orbital valve and cylinder (so do some Deere, Cub, etc). That's it.

There are a couple key brackets needed to mount the valve and cylinder, and they have been becoming NLA. Hoses will have to be made to length and you will need a longer choke cable, some hardware, a new dash plate (or modified one), and a few hydraulic elbows.

Daniel is correct that the non-hydrolift Sunstrand tractors will need the relief valve kit or a pump replacement from a hydrolift tractor. The PS does route through the hydraulic lift valve, but I don't think that's necessary for operation if you have manual or electric lift.

From what I've seen, the P/S is just tee'd off the supply and return lines from the Hydrolift control valve. It would NOT be necessary to have hydrolift, if you wanted P/S, but if you're going through the work of adding P/S...go all the way, and throw a hydrolift in too!

Thanks for the info!

It would be going onto either the 7116 or my uncle's 7790, both of which have the sunstrand and both of which have hydraulic lift already, so that sounds like one positive.

I'm going to have to tear apart the dash a little on the 1920 to get an idea what I need to do in there, making me think this may be a summer project. I'm not too concerned about having hoses made, since the local New Holland dealer will do them for reasonable amount, and the plumbing seems like something I can tackle. What would be more daunting for me would be any welding or fabrication we'd need to do. I haven't welded since high school :D

There's no place to mount the rear ram bracket on a 7000 series without fabricating a different bracket. Plus the distance between the front spindle where the cylinder mounts and the back bracket is 2" - 2-1/2" shorter on a 7000 series than on a 7100 series. I have made several sets of the 7100 series powersteering brackets.