Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

727 not starting

dconklin006

Soo I've been working on my 727 for quite some time now. Rebuilt the carb completely, relined the gas tank, new fuel filter and lines, new intake valve and spring, new spark plug, new battery. I'm able to get spark but I still can't get it to start. My next idea is to replace points and condenser, would that make sense?? thanks Dan

If you have spark then you don't need to mess with the points & condensor. If you spray starter fluid down the carb while it cranks, does it kick? All these engines need is spark, fuel and compression. To run well, they just need amount and timing of each adjusted. Hang in there and others will talk you through it. I've learned a ton over the last couple of years from these guys. Best $10 I ever spent! Good luck, Dave

So I guess you adjusted your new intake valve. Why only the intake valve? While the cylinder head was off, did you check to make sure both valves opened about the same?

Did you check the clearance on the intake valve? If you put anew valve in and it isn't set properly, it may not be closing all the way. If so you have not compression and therefore it won't run. Other thought is, try another plug. Sometimes the spark may be there, but weak.